Cornucopia Wildberry - Fruit Pack Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calmingapple

Reaction score
Hi!

I am looking for advice from those who have experience with the Cornucopia Fruit packs or packs in general and if I should only use half of the pack to start? Myself and family enjoy wine dry for the most part with a touch of sweetness.

This is my first Cornucopia kit intended for a BBQ gathering. I did see a post somewhere were Yooper advised another poster to "adjust as needed" so to speak.

I was also curious if these packs spoil quickly once opened, or can I store the other half away in a bottle somewhere for use in other kits down the road (2 months time).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Bump. Anyone?

I was thinking of storing the F-pack liquid in an air-tight container and use it only a bit at a time.
They give you a lot of liquid in the packs, so it would be nice if I could make it stretch and use it when I come across kits needing more fruit flavor.

Reading reviews on Amazon some people will either add half or all of the F-Pac to the primary to ferment it, sweetening with the remaining F-Pac or sugar if needed. the main complaint with these kits is lack of body - other reviewers wanting a full body wine have reduced the batch size to 3 gallons. Not sure if it is the best route, but it is also an option.

Isn't the F-pack made of non-fermentable sugar and potassium sorbate? I could be wrong, I just read somewhere it was (back of box does not list all ingredients).

I made this to the 5 gallon mark. I heard to reduce the water but did not heard 3 gallons being recommended. Good to know though for future!

I am about 6 days in right now with SG at 1.010 and this is without the f pack added.

I didn't get any replies here on HBF so I started the kit SANS F pack but figured I could add half the pack during de-gassing stage/clearing/finings. Again, this leads me to think the F pack it won't kick up fermentation... and has pot. sorbate.

It never dawned on me to add it right at start (nor was it advised as per kit instructions)... I would have been concerned any potassium sorbate would stall fermentation.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to try half.

Reading reviews on Amazon some people will either add half or all of the F-Pac to the primary to ferment it, sweetening with the remaining F-Pac or sugar if needed. the main complaint with these kits is lack of body - other reviewers wanting a full body wine have reduced the batch size to 3 gallons. Not sure if it is the best route, but it is also an option.

I don't know if it sorbated or not. I have never tried nor do I know how it will turn out. If you do try let us know :)

Never used a f-pak or made a kit. However adding to taste is always good advise. You should be able to store the unused juice in the fridge. If in dought toss it in the freezer:). It will keep just fine in there!

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

If your kit includes stabalizer the F Pac may be sulfited to prevent infection and to prevent spontaneous fermentation

Thanks for the replies. I decided to with-hold half of the F pack and let it clear for 5 days. Took a taste and it is perfect. I think adding the entire thing would have made it way too sweet for my liking (or family's liking).

And it gave a touch of body to an otherwise VERY thin wine. Next time I will make it to 4 gallons - not 5. So I am learning how to tweak these type of kits. I will buy another one soon.

Thanks again for the tips.

Well I followed instructions and I added half the F pack along with the sulphite/stabilizer. I will use the other half for a blackberry wine I hope to make soon.

So far it's quite good. I expected the flavor to taste extremely fake and overly sweet but I got the wildberry chianti and it's the best wine cooler I've ever tasted and perfect for my tastes.

Drinking this in a few weeks time at bbq, will let you know what other think :-D

I don't know if it sorbated or not. I have never tried nor do I know how it will turn out. If you do try let us know :)

Back