Corney Keg Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aMillionDreams

Reaction score
1) one corney keg is leaking gas from the "in" post when I disconnect it.

2) the other won't create a seal around the top "thing" (don't know the terminology) that opens and closes.

Both kegs are about two months old. Thanks in advance.

1) Did you remove the post? If so make sure the poppet is centered before you fully tighten.

2) Do you mean the lid? Try re-seating it, if that doesn't work use some keg lube (or food grade mineral oil).

1) No I didn't remove the post. I'm kinda new to this.

2) yeah, the lid. I tried reseating it 4 or 5 times to no avail. I suppose I need to pick up some keg lube.

Keg lube for sure. Also some people mention having to hit their kegs with an initial burst of 30 psi to seal, then back it off. I personally always just hook up to my 11-12 psi line and it's good. Keg lube on every seal though. Also inspect the seals for any splits or flat out tears. Buy spares of all orings if you don't have them already.

Some lids like to go a certain way. If you can't get a seal one way flip it the other and try that way. Also, for the troublesome ones keg lube is a real winner.

On the poppets if I hear a leak (pretty common when I disconnect a keg) I just push in on the poppet with my finger and it usually seals itself.

As for spares of rings... I'd have to dig up the part numbers but you can buy those in bulk for practically nothing. I spent like 40 bucks with McMaster Carr and got enough rings to last me pretty much forever (100 each of post inner/outer and like twenty for the lid.

Years ago, I worked with vacuum equipment, and one of the shortcuts taken by some of the equipment techs was to slather the o-rings with "guinea grease" if they couldn't get it to seal. I quickly learned that this was a pretty poor way to do it, since the equipment would leak again in short order when the grease got thin.

Granted, the vacuum levels of that equipment was a lot higher in magnitude than the pressure encountered in a keg, but I still feel that using grease to seal a o-ring is a bad idea. Sure, a little lube is a good thing, but don't be tempted to slather on too much to hide a bigger problem.

That said, the best course of action to me would be to find exactly where it is leaking, and attack the source. For the lid, definitely try re-seating. Ensure that the little grey caps are present under the ends of the clamp (if not, use a dime under it temporarily until you can get more). Try placing it the other way (180 degrees); that sometimes helps.

If the post is leaking while the gas is attached, it is more than likely due to the post o-ring. Try replacing it; if that doesn't work, the post may be bad. If it's the poppet, then try clearing it. I find that they sometimes gather a bit of gunk that prevents them from sealing completely.

Good luck.

(1) Dip Tube O-Rings
5/16" ID x 1/2"OD x 3/32" width
9452K172 BunaN #109
Pkg 100

(2) Post O-Rings
7/16" ID x 5/8" OD x 3/32" width
9452K23 BunaN #111
Pkg 100

(3) Lid O-Rings
3 1/2" ID x 4" OD x 1/4" width
9452K218 BunaN #417
Pkg 10

(1) Dip Tube O-Rings
5/16" ID x 1/2"OD x 3/32" width
9452K172 BunaN #109
Pkg 100

(2) Post O-Rings
7/16" ID x 5/8" OD x 3/32" width
9452K23 BunaN #111
Pkg 100

(3) Lid O-Rings
3 1/2" ID x 4" OD x 1/4" width
9452K218 BunaN #417
Pkg 10

Thanks for that... anyone using kegs should really spend about 30 bucks and stock up. I got 1 of each of the small ones and 2 of the lid ones for like 36 shipped. That with the couple lid rings I had floating around means I'm good for pretty much ever, lol.

Oh the site is...
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Thanks for all the help. One of those grey things is missing, I'll try to dime trick and see if that works. Nevertheless, it sounds like I need to buy some o-rings and figure out how these things work.

On the other keg, the gas leaks when I unhook it. Also, when I put the gas on, it doesn't want to go until I really press down on the connection.

You need to take the posts off and inspect the poppet springs. They should have good tension on the spring, meaning it should not be compressed so that the spring slides around a lot. You might need to just reseat them or replace them. I've found that 50% of the used kegs I've bought need new springs right away. Otherwise be prepared for the eventual beer shower in the face when it does not properly seat.

Often times kegs have been rebuilt with the wrong poppets, you should check that as well.

Back