Corney keg fermenter? Where did I see it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garcia

Reaction score
I had seen some corney kegs that were fermenter. They Couldn't hold pressure, but were good for primary. I cannot find the webpage. Please help.

Disregard. Found it. LOL, it's at corneykeg.com, couldn't have been more obvious.

I put an airlock in the bev out side of a corny using 2" of tubing to make the connection and fermented my first (only) lager in my kegerator. Worked like a champ. I would imagine it makes dry hopping a dream as well.

Cold crashing rocks in a corny. Hook up the co2 on 1 psi and you don't have to worry about oxidation.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't think you need to do anything special to use a Corny keg as a primary fermenter. At most, you just need to fabricate a "blowoff tube," which you could do by simply connecting some beverage line to a (EDIT: Corrected) grey "Gas" ball lock quick disconnect, and leave the other end of the tube open. Drape it into a bucket of StarSan and you're good to go. I'd probably remove the dip tube though, to make cleanup easier, unless you were planning on using it to push the beer out into another vessel later on in the process, but you'd probably want to use a shortened dip tube for that.

I don't think you need to do anything special to use a Corny keg as a primary fermenter. At most, you just need to fabricate a "blowoff tube," which you could do by simply connecting some beverage line to a black "Beverage" ball lock quick disconnect, and leave the other end of the tube open. Drape it into a bucket of StarSan and you're good to go. I'd probably remove the dip tube though, to make cleanup easier, unless you were planning on using it to push the beer out into another vessel later on in the process, but you'd probably want to use a shortened dip tube for that.

It's easier if you do this with a gray gas disconnect. Leave the dip tubes in, bend them up a couple inches off the bottom of the keg. Then you can do a closed transfer to the serving keg. This is what I do. It works awesomely. I brew 4 gallon batches though. I wouldn't want to do this with any size larger.

It's easier if you do this with a gray gas disconnect.

Whoops! Of course, you're 100% right. I had a Friday afternoon brain fart. Attaching your blowoff to the beverage post (with a dip tube still attached, no less!) would result in precious beer being pushed out of the keg as the yeast filled the headspace with CO2.

I only have 1 corney keg. So I need to buy the cheapest corneykeg to fit them in my fridge

PS. Got asked to go work 3 hours nom-contract Saturday, and will use those $120 to buy 2 corney kegs for primary and secondary. I can now make 2 beers at a time. :)

Hey, man, check out Adventures in Homebrewing. They have these low profile kegs that work perfectly for fermenting. I bought 2 of them for my ferments. Just bent up the liquid dip tubes so it only pulls beer and not yeast when I take a gravity reading/rack it to the serving keg. I love it. Perfect for the 4 gallon batches I brew. And they're fairly cheap.

Back