corney keg cleanliness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

+HopSpunge+

Reaction score
Say if I get done drinking a keg and its empty. And I have another batch of similar beer ready to go into that keg. Do you guys sanatize the keg? Or just rack the beer into it without doing anything. Theoretically it's still sanatized. If it were a different style of beer I would deffinatly clean it. But I have been making alot of the same latley; so I was thinking why bother......

Normally I run some brewery wash threw the keg lines, and clean and sanitize the keg. And flush sanitizer threw the beer line

I just rinse out the yeast and hop debris, I sanitize the keg about every 5 batches.the risk of contamination is pretty low at that point-fully fermented beer stored in the fridge.I mean do what you want, but most of the time I don't even bother.

A quick rinse and some star san is a nice insurance policy IMO. The one time you don't and get some sort of infection will be the last time you don't.

I just find cleaning them is easier if I don't wait between batches. I HAVE done what you're asking about though, and not had any problems. But usually I open the keg, see the remainder of the yeast/sediment at the bottom and think..."Meh, may as well just clean it now" and it usually takes very little time or effort. I just rinse it down with hot water, dump the sediment, put another gallon of PBW mix in, shake it a few times, charge it, run it through the tap, rinse, put a gallon of starsan in, charge it, run it through the tap and it's clean sanitized and full. It probably only takes me a bit longer then typing this post actually took ;)

I did that once or twice, but one time I went ahead and took off the posts and looked in the diptube. OMG- it was so gross that from then on I started breaking down the keg after each emptying. It takes like 10 minutes to do, so there isn't any reason not to.

If that doesn't bother you and the beer tastes great, then no reason to do that. It just really bothered me, so I do it all the time now.

Yooper said:
I did that once or twice, but one time I went ahead and took off the posts and looked in the diptube. OMG- it was so gross that from then on I started breaking down the keg after each emptying. It takes like 10 minutes to do, so there isn't any reason not to.

If that doesn't bother you and the beer tastes great, then no reason to do that. It just really bothered me, so I do it all the time now.

+1 it only takes a few minutes! It's not worth taking a chance!

I always clean my kegs between beers, but that's just me. It doesn't take that long.

Latest posts

Back