Corney Dry Hopping Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashtest22

Reaction score
I remember seeing someone that is part of the forum posting about dry hopping mesh cylinders for the Corney kegs but can't remember who it was.
I would really like to support a member here over the other guys.
Here are the ones I found.

Any pros or cons to them?

http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewingfilters.php#cornydryhopper

http://arborfab.com/store/brewing-filter-combo-packages/corney-keg-filter-2-pack/

http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Dry-Hopper-with-twist-cap-_p_155.html

Thanks in advance.

I've often considered getting one of these, but every time I look into it I just can't see spending $50+ on something that I don't technically need. There's nothing "broken" with my currently implementation of dry hopping cornies, so why "fix" it?

I just dump the pellets into a sanitized nylon hop sack, tie it shut and then tie a length of unflavored dental floss to the bag. The bag goes in the corny, the floss gets tied to the handle of the keg and the lid seals right over the floss seamlessly. Easy in, easy out, and easy cleanup.

But I'm sure these contraptions work just as well.

I love mine. The mesh is nice and tight and not many particles get out.

I've often considered getting one of these, but every time I look into it I just can't see spending $50+ on something that I don't technically need. There's nothing "broken" with my currently implementation of dry hopping cornies, so why "fix" it?

I just dump the pellets into a sanitized nylon hop sack, tie it shut and then tie a length of unflavored dental floss to the bag. The bag goes in the corny, the floss gets tied to the handle of the keg and the lid seals right over the floss seamlessly. Easy in, easy out, and easy cleanup.

But I'm sure these contraptions work just as well.

Same here.

Though I only use mint flavored floss :)

And I leave just enough floss in the keg so that when it gets a few pints drawn down, the hop sack is no longer submerged.

Thanks for the replies so far.
I had been doing it that way too with the nylon bags.
I just figured this would make the boil easier with the imperial ipa's and dry hopping.
I ended up ordering the one from Utah got the keegle spider thing and the corney dry hopper.
Will report back on first use.

i have both the kettle hop strainer and the dry hoppers from Utah. I'm a fan of both for a couple of reasons:

1. stainless steel... 'nuf said..
2. easy to do multiple dry hops without dealing with leaving the initial dose in too long and risking grassy flavors
3. allows me to harvest yeast without hop debris in it

On the down side if you're doing a large dry hop (I can't recall how much i used) the expansion of the pellets can fill the dry hopper and I want to believe I could tell i didn't get the full blast of aroma i was looking for. That being said it could just be my mind playing tricks on me. So just be mindful if you're doing a large dose.

I do the hop bag with dental floss thing as well. One surprising thing I found was that fishing string did not work for me. The keg lid would leak co2 no matter how I adjusted the string. Dental floss never leaked.

I do the hop bag with dental floss thing as well. One surprising thing I found was that fishing string did not work for me. The keg lid would leak co2 no matter how I adjusted the string. Dental floss never leaked.

Yeah it's because the floss is flat like a ribbon, whereas fishing line is cylindrical. Think about linguine vs spaghetti.

I'm currently using the Carboy dryhopper in the keg for dry hopping instead of their larger offering. It has pluses and minuses, IMO.

+ Inexpensive compared to it's larger offering
+ easy to sanitize (fits in my trough)
+ easy to clean as both ends can open and you can "push" the hop muck out and scrub it.

- You can only put about 1oz in (too much and the pellets expand and you get much less aroma)
- Expensive for what it really is

I'm going to get a couple hop socks from Wilser (7$ for two and 3 for shipping puts it at half the cost of the Carboy) and try those.

Link: http://biabbags.webs.com/ head to the bottom of the page.

My main worry is getting the bag caught in the dip tube when serving, but I don't really want to suspend it with string/sink it with a marble. I'm hoping it'll behave, but you never know until you try.

Back