Quantcast

Cornelius keg variants (any better than the other)?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

wallacebw

Reaction score
Of the many types of Cornelius kegs like (Cornelius-Spartan, Super Champion & R Keg, Type C Challenger, John Wood 85, and older Firestone Challenger kegs) are any preferred over the others? I'm about to buy 4 additional kegs and other than trying to standardize on one type (keep the parts the same) are there any other considerations?

Thanks,
Brian

pompeiisneaks

Why that human mask?
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
All I can recall as one of the more important ones is to make sure the pressure release valve is not all plastic, as those aren't made anymore... but other than that, I don't know tons about them... Mine are both the same but I have no way of knowing which kind specifically they are...

SpanishCastleAle

Reaction score
I have a couple of Firestone pin-locks and the following are all ball-locks: a Challenger VI, a Challenger (that's not the real old style with the odd shaped lid), an old Challenger (with the odd shaped lid), and 5 Cornelius.

All of my ball lock Firestone/Challenger kegs have plastic gas-side dip tubes that are not made anymore. Also, the typical o-ring kit (from say AHS) doesn't have the proper seal/o-ring for inside the posts (the outer post o-rings and lid o-rings fit all my kegs). I don't like them just because of that.

All 5 of my cornies have metal gas dip tubes and the o-ring kits (such as the ones from AHS) fit. I like them because of that so I always try to get cornies.

My 2 psi.:)

OP
W

wallacebw

Reaction score
Yeah, I was just curious. I have two types right now (don't remember exactly which ones) and they require different poppets...

I was going to try to standardize on one type (or at least types using the same poppets) and was wondering if there was a preference; I guess as long as it is it compatible with the standard and available orings and dip/gas tubes I guess I'm alright.

Thanks,

bottle-o-jeff

Reaction score
If you see the old Firestone kegs (Spartenberg with a non-elliptical lid) run far far away. Those are the ones that need the little nylon/plastic inserts in the posts.

Just go with ones with elliptical lids and the screw in reliefs (with a ring-ding on them) and you'll have plenty of repair options.