Corn Syrup???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dummkauf

Reaction score
Ok, I get to deal with a lot of businesses in my line of work(which will remain unamed), and I recently was working on a project involving a large commercial brewery in South America(my project unfortunately had nothing at all to do with the brewing process).

However, I discovered that they have tankers full of Corn Syrup brought in at a time, purchased by the ton, and I am trying to figure out what exactly they are doing with the corn syrup? No one I am working with actively participates in the brewing process and they either didn't know, or they just don't want to share, and now I am curious.

I can't imagine they are using it for priming sugar as I can't find any evidence that their beer is bottle conditioned, which leaves me to think they are using it to add fermentable sugars or to sweeten the beer some. I've never had their beer as it's not available in the US, but I'm getting the impression they would be considered BMC(or not a micro/craft brewer).

Do any of the BMC's here use corn sugar, and if so for what?

Yes, they all do.

BMC beers are well defined products with strict quality control standards. Bud in Chicago in 1999 is the same as Bud in Houston in 2005, is the same as Bud in Miami today. Unfortunately grains are not as well defined. Each season (and sometimes even within the same shipment) there are variations in the sugar profile of the base grain. Specialty corn syrups (higher maltose than most corn syrups) are used to iron out these fluctuations so that BMC can produce a consistent product.

Thanks for the info Roger.

Yet another difference between commercial breweries and my personal brewing process :)

on a somewhat related note, I saw that the producers of high fructose corn syrup are trying to get the FDA to allow them to change the name to "corn sugar."

So, what's the difference between HFCS and dextrose?

I saw that too(lifehacker.com???)

Was wondering the same thing. When I saw they wanted to name it "Corn sugar", I immediately thought, what the hell, I already have corn sugar with my brewing gear at home. Wonder how they plan to differentiate the 2 if the rebranding actually happens.

I saw that too(lifehacker.com???)

Was wondering the same thing. When I saw they wanted to name it "Corn sugar", I immediately thought, what the hell, I already have corn sugar with my brewing gear at home. Wonder how they plan to differentiate the 2 if the rebranding actually happens.

I'll bring it up in another thread, as not to hijack your thread...

Ok, I get to deal with a lot of businesses in my line of work(which will remain unamed), and I recently was working on a project involving a large commercial brewery in South America(my project unfortunately had nothing at all to do with the brewing process).

However, I discovered that they have tankers full of Corn Syrup brought in at a time, purchased by the ton, and I am trying to figure out what exactly they are doing with the corn syrup? No one I am working with actively participates in the brewing process and they either didn't know, or they just don't want to share, and now I am curious.

I can't imagine they are using it for priming sugar as I can't find any evidence that their beer is bottle conditioned, which leaves me to think they are using it to add fermentable sugars or to sweeten the beer some. I've never had their beer as it's not available in the US, but I'm getting the impression they would be considered BMC(or not a micro/craft brewer).

Do any of the BMC's here use corn sugar, and if so for what?

Do you know if the Brewery only produces beer?

Alot of plants could also be producing soft drinks, or even hybrid drinks (malt & sugar, etc. Even if they are making a Malta type product, they could be adding some HFCS to make it sweeter.

Back