Corn syrup for priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacks13

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I used corn syrup to prime my last batch about 10 days ago. I mixed it with water and boiled it then cooled it and put it into the priming bucket before racking the beer from the secondary onto it. So far I tried a few bottles and the carbonation is VERY disappointing. Any suggestions? How long might this take compared to priming sugar, which usually carbonates for me in a week or so?

I could not find corn sugar so i used the corn syrup. Is that a fatal error? Should I shake the bottles occasionally? Is there an opttion to empty and re-rack the bottles?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks as always!

Take a close look at the ingredient list on the syrup label, there may not have been much sugar in it and it may have also contained preservatives.

Corn syrup is highly refined corn sugar and is barely fermentable. I wouldn't be surprised if you have a very sweet and flat brew but I have my fingers crossed for you. I would let it sit for another month at least, maybe trying one every week. Let us know how it turns out.

Back