Corn Syrup for Priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arpeggiator

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just bottled my first beer last night, a coffee stout, and I used corn syrup for the priming sugar. I used Beersmith to calculate the amount needed (3.25 oz for 4 gal batch). It wasn't until today when I started formulating a new brew, that I noticed Beersmith listed corn sugar and corn syrup as two different things. It doesn't describe corn syrup as a priming sugar. Are the two interchangeable? If so, did I still use the correct amount? Am I looking too far into this? Any advice would help. Cheers!

My understanding is that corn syrup is basically just glucose and corn starch. Its probably fine, but not sure about the amount you used.

....and my understanding is that corn syrup (Karo, etc.) sold in markets has preservatives that may not be conducive to good carbonation / conditioning.

corn syrup and corn sugar definitely not interchangable. I would not use corn syrup to carb, or as a fermentable ingredient.

As viscous as corn sugar is, I'd worry about it getting evenly distributed into the individual bottles. You may end up with some pretty uneven carbonation.

Ok, I bought some carbonation drops to hopefully correct my mistake. I bottled both 12 oz. and 22 oz. bottles, I plan on putting drops into each of the 22 oz'ers but I'm a little scared of overcarbing the 12 oz. Any thoughts?

Back