corn sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
I am about to bottle a blonde ale. I am trying to make something that my miller loving friends might enjoy.

I used 4lbs x-lite, and 1lb wheat. Last time I used 3lbs wheat and the wheat taste more dominant than what I was looking for.

I also added 1lb corn sugar to get to the OG that I wanted. Steeped a little C10 and carapils. Saaz. SF05.

What will be the affect of the sugar?

I have used rice solids before, but I felt the taste was a little "twangy". Will corn sugar do anything other than an alcohol boost. I have read some "cidery" observations that worry me.

Too much corn sugar can lead to off tastes.

I used to find that if I went over 20% corn sugar for a recipe, I could taste it. YMMV.

Your recipe looks good, though - mostly malt extract, the steeping grains to add some body and sweetness...I'd think this should be a BMC-fan pleaser.

How much Saaz, and when are you adding it?

Saaz 1.5 @ 60 and 0.5 @ 15.

Partial boil, expect 23 IBU. Much more than BMC (for me), but still very light for them.

Yeah, you should be okay. If you do get a cidery off-flavour, tell your BMC friends it's a Rolling Rock clone, and the that flavour is supposed to be there.

The cidery thing comes into play, bigtime, when a person is using kit-in-a-can ingredients, which call for a large % of the fermentables to be corn sugar or malt extract.

Latest posts

Back