% Corn Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aubie Stout

Reaction score
I'm not looking to boost alcohol content! LOL.....

I'm currently using a 5 gal mash tun. When I try and make a bigger beer like an IPA, I run out of room. I've used corn sugar before up to about 8% with no ill effects. I was wondering if I could go as high as 15% without compromising the beer too much. Try to keep my base malt to about 10 pounds so I can mash with no problems.

PS: Bigger mash tun is on the way!

You're probably going to want to up your gravity with extract as opposed to sugar. Up to about a pound can be appropriate in some recipes, but getting up to 15% with a 5 gallon mash tun and corn sugar is going to produce some nasty hooch beer.

That much sugar was used historically in IPAs to dry them out. Shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, I totally misread the original post. Thought you were trying to get to 15% alcohol not 15% of your total sugars. I've probably gone that high in a cream ale with no ill effects.

You just asked if IPA could be too dry? Hehehe! Don't worry about drying it out too much, but if you are All Grain, then just mash a little warmer if you want to keep body in the beer. I mash about 155 for a normal IPA without sugar, but if I am adding sugar, I try to hit 157 if I can. If Imperial, I mash at 152 and use sugar. Works every time. I strive for 1.012-1.016 in my IPA's. Higher is too sweet, less is too thin.

Don't worry about getting more grain into your 5 gallon. I've gone just under 14 lbs with 1.15qt/lb ratio in my 5 gallon...as long as the math is good as there will be no room to adjust. I personally like tossing a little sugar into my IPA's that have gravity much higher than 1.055 range...say 5% or so.

Back