Corn Sugar Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runyanka

Reaction score
In about two weeks I will be brewing up some Pale Ale and I was wondering if it is unheard of to put a half pound of corn sugar in the wort just near the end of the boiling session? I know some poeple say this will give it a cidery taste, others dont. However, I will be letting it ferment in the primary for two weeks, the dry hopping in the secondary for about 3 weeks. Let me know if any of you have done this? Does it raise abv%, just trying to experiment some. Thanks for all the help so far guys!

You can add regular sugar for that matter. Jamil does it in some high gravity beers to 'dry them out' so they don't have an overly sweet finish. Cidery flavors don't come into play unless you really add a lot. I think some IIPA recipes call for 3 lbs of table sugar.

Adding the sugar will boost the ABV. I personally wouldn't do it just for a higher ABV, but would to prevent a cloying sweetness in a high gravity beer as mentioned above.

I think the rule of thumb is, as long as less than about 20% of your fermentables are sugar (corn sugar, table sugar), you won't get a cidery taste.

A pound or so of corn sugar will give you about a 1% ABV boost with minimal change in taste.

A pound or so of corn sugar will give you about a 1% ABV boost with minimal change in taste.

Okay well I am adding 8oz to my wort so I shouldnt see any real change of flavor in a 5 ga batch then correct? I didnt know you could go up to a pound and still not get a "cidery" taste.
Thanks!

it's been danced around but not stated clearly.

If you're looking to add alcohol to your beer, then just add the sugar. It's going to alter the flavor so it's not ideal if you're looking for the best beer possible but it'll work.

However, if you're looking to dry a beer out, you can't just add sugar, you need to substitute sugar in for a portion of the base malt that's in your recipe. Use brewing software or an online recipe formulator to determine how much base grain to remove and how much sugar to add to keep the same starting gravity. Then you'll end up with a drier beer. Start at 5% and go up if you don't get dry enough.

Latest posts

Back