Corn sugar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgarri1

Reaction score
I know that kits are hard to mess up and really just follow the directions, stupid is the general anser to these questions...I am getting ready to bottle my BOddingtons clone I got from AHS...every other kit from different suppoliers had 5oz of corn sugar and said to boil in 1 cup of water..this kit has 4.5oz and says to boil in 2 cups...does this seem right? Does English ale have a lighter carbonation to it? I guess it just seems off to me.

If its an English Bitter, yeah, it'll be lightly carb'd. you can drop the water to 1 cup boiled if you like. 8oz won't make or break the beer.

For my first two batches I boiled the 5 oz. corn sugar in one cup of water, dumped that into my bottling bucket and siphoned my beer into the bucket so that it swirled around the bucket to mix. Both of those batches had some bottles that were very carbonated and some that were almost flat. Since then I have been boiling my corn sugar in two cups of water and following the same procedure with much better results. I believe the more diluted sugar water mixes more evenly into the beer. As far as the 4.5 oz. is concerned, that is the max I would use for that style. In fact, I usually use 3 oz. of sugar for 5 gallons for my English bitters. According to Beersmith that still puts you at the upper end of carbonation for that style.

Back