Corn sugar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewByBerg

Reaction score
I'm brewing a pale ale with wlp300 hef yeast, I plan on adding a half pound of sugar to help dry if out and boost the alcohol content. Is this okay to do?

You can definitely do that. Was the first one you brewed not to your liking that you would want to thin the body and dry it out?

flars said:
You can definitely do that. Was the first one you brewed not to your liking that you would want to thin the body and dry it out?

This will be my first one. This recipe is a different kind of beer. A brewery near me using a Belgian grain bill with a German hef yeast. They call it a pale ale because they dry hop it. I was only going to add sugar to boost the abv and dry it out a little? I only have 6lbs liquid pilsner extract on hand. Should I just go but more lme? Also would I be able to mix lme with dme?

You can mix LME and DME.

I'd add half pound of sugar anyway. Extract tends to end high, and this would help lower the FG a little.

Only to add that you will also want to up the IBU's a bit to balance out the additional malt and ABV.

6lbs of extract in a 5 gallon beer is about average,so 1/2lb of dextrose would be fine. It'll only change it a little bit at that anount.

Latest posts

Back