Corn Sugar Priming vs DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregblatz

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am a newbie, and I love the forums and advice that you guys provide.

My question is in regards to priming before bottling.

I have been using 1.25 cups of light DME, but I know that a lot of people use 3/4 cup of corn sugar.

Is there much of a difference between the two, or do you guys have a strong preference one way or the other.

What are the benefits / problems with either?

thanks,
Greg

Primary: Cascade Pale Ale (mini mash)
Secondary: Brittish Bitter (mini mash)
Bottled: ESB

Generally it's just a personal preference. Some swear you can get 'better bubbles' with DME but I've never noticed a difference. DME generally takes a little longer to carbonate as well.

Personally I use corn sugar, it's cheap and it works. Both work though, try a couple batches with each one and make your own decision is probably the best thing to do.

The benefits or problems of any primer, are the changes they impart on a brew. I have never had a problem with any primer (up to and including hershey's kisses......don't ask)
The only time it might be a problem is if you are brewing an extremely light beer, and you prime with dark DME...or hershey kisses for that matter.

I use sugar. It is easy and cheap and I have never had a problem.

The issue could also come up with the fermentability of your DME. Corn sugar is a known quantity, you're always going to get the same result, but with DME, different brands can get you different results.

Scimmia said:
The issue could also come up with the fermentability of your DME. Corn sugar is a known quantity, you're always going to get the same result, but with DME, different brands can get you different results.

and apparently laaglander brand DME is one of those 'not very fermentable' brands. you sweeten up the beer getting it carb'd enough.

Back