corn sugar in wort.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csmothers

Reaction score
I'm new to home brewing and I began my first batch today. When I boiled my water and malt extract syrup for 45 minutes I didn't add any corn sugar or dried malt extract to the wort nor did I add it during fermentation. I'm wondering if I made a mistake by not doing this. I tried to run to my supply store but unfortunately the guy closed early. Curious if I ruined my beer.

What was the recipe that you were brewing? If both were supposed to go into the boil, you would just end up with a beer that is lower in abv and higher in bitterness than you were expecting.

corn sugar is `normally` added into the bottling bucket to get some carb in the bottles. Sounds like you will have a low ABV hoppy beer.

Without knowing the recipe I would say you made a big mistake. It will be beer, but not as it should have been. If there was dry malt extract it should have been added during the boil. (most likely). The corn sugar was probably for bottle conditioning. (but it might have been part of the boil ingredients).

You could probably dissolve the extract in as little water as possible, boil for about 10 minutes then add it to the fermenter. This will not solve any problems that may have happened with bitterness though.

Recipe called for either but as I was in such a hurry to get started I missed that step. Can it be added after or is it too late at this point? Yeast has been added and fermentation has begun

3. Open can and pour the contents into your cleaned and sterilised fermenter.

4. Add the boiling water to the fermenter.

5. Add 1Kg of sugar (preferably brewing sugar).

6. Thoroughly mix the fermenter contents to dissolve the sugar and malt extract.

So was this a pre-hopped extract kit? Like was mentioned before, your beer will be lower in abv in more bitter than expected the way you have it. You can either leave it as is or if you want to add the sugar, I would wait until fermentation slows down and then add it. You would just have to boil some water with sugar (corn or table would be fine) for 5 to 10 minutes, then cool the mixture down and add it to the fermentor.

Boil two quarts of water. While boiling, add the sugar and stir, removing it from the heat. Loosely cover the pot with aluminum foil and allow it to cool to room temp. Sanitize a funnel. Add the cooled sugar mixture to the fermentor, being careful to avoid exposure to unsanitary stuff.

Enjoy your beer!

Thanks guys eased my mind a little. I wasn't aware that I could use regular sugar or I would have done that. Once fermentation slows down I may try to add it but I will probably just roll with it. It is just my first batch. Expected a few hiccups.

Also, if the extract was pre-hopped, you never boil it. That changes the hop profile already boiled into it. It'll be more bitter than normal.

Back