Corn Sugar in Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsuyako

Reaction score
Okay so I going to bottle my pumpkin ale next week and I noticed that it has more corn sugar in the kit than my honey amber ale. Now I know the instruction on extra kits suck but it does say to boil 3/4 of a cup with 1 (?) cup of water. (so does John Palmers book) There is obviously a 1 cup and 1/2there, will it hurt to add all of it? Or will it just make my PA more fizzy, which wouldn't be a bad thing:D

How much is in there? All the kits I've ever seen come with 5 oz. If it has 5 oz then you are good to go.........if not then do not use it all. Bottle bombs are bad mmmm kay?

Yeah I figured, and I will most deffinitly try to avoid them as my bottles are in the closet next to my brothers room. He packing heat...

Okay I'm talking about bottle conditioning not pitching my yeast but thank you for neat calculator.

1 and 1/2 cups seems like way to much for bottle conditioning. I always use 3/4 of a cup. Did your recipe call for any corn sugar in the boil?

1 and 1/2 is quite a bit more sugar!! That's double the sugar for a normal bottling of 5 gallons. Maybe they accidentally gave you a quantity of two? Either that or some of the sugar was meant for an addition during your boil. If it were me, I'd measure out 3/4 cup and just save the remaining sugar for other beers. I'd be afraid that with that much sugar, you can start having bottle bombs.

Back