Corn Sugar? Honey? Bit of a problem...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woops

Reaction score
What do you use for bottling? How much?

I have a beer ready to be bottled, but I lost the recipe and cannot for the life of me remember how much of *whatever* I should be using.

I've heard one cup of corn sugar or one pound of honey?

This is just a simple Blonde Ale, but I'm nervous about adding too much sugar to the bottles.

What's a VERY SAFE amount of sugar to add in before bottling?

Also, note to self: Back your BeerSmith software and recipes up if you're mid-brew......

Can you use honey before you put it in bottles?

An alternate question: Would any supermarket have corn sugar?

A still alternate question: Can you use brown or cane sugar?

:(

IMPE, honey also seems to give a slightly finer bubble. Not sure what if any reason there might be for that, which bugs me a little, but comparing corn sugar to honey priming I believe I am seeing a difference in bubble size, though I suppose it could be my imagination. Anyway, I like it as a priming sugar.

Honey works well....Let me find the ratio.

1 Cup of honey per 5 gallons (YES Grocery store honey is fine)

2/3 cup white or brown sugar.

And I'm sure you knew this, but you would dissolve the sugar (or honey) in some boiling water and stir well to make sure it's all dissolved before adding it to the bottling bucket.

I wouldn't try brown sugar in a Blonde Ale because of the color, but I suppose you're going for a bottle blonde. :)
I can't help with the honey - but that's already been answered.
You could use x oz. corn sugar, 0.8x oz. cane sugar, or ~1.3x oz DME (the actual amount would depend on the variety of DME used) to achieve the same carbonation rate.
For a blonde ale, I would go for 5 - 6 oz corn sugar (4 - 5 oz cane sugar, or about 6.5 - 8 oz DME) for a 5g batch.
These amounts will all be perfectly safe providing the beer has finished fermenting before you bottle. The gravity should be unchanged for at least 3 days, and should be less than 1.014. (I can't imagine a blonde ale having a FG higher than that.)
I've never seen corn sugar in a supermarket, but that doesn't mean that no supermarkets sell it.
Corn sugar will also carbonate faster than cane sugar or DME. (You may need to wait another 2 - 3 weeks for the latter two to complete.)

-a.

Back