Corn Maize/ Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbren723

Reaction score
I am making a Honey Cream Ale for late summer. I do not want a super dry beer so I wondering if anyone has any experience with using corn maize and/or honey with a cream ale?

For now I am using both honey and corn maize but because they both tend to dry out the beer I wasn't sure if mix well together or don't at all. Here's my recipe.

6 lb Pilsner extract
1 lb Pale malt extract
1 lb carmal malt 10L 6 row
4 oz Biscuit malt
12 oz Honey Malt(Gambrinus)
8 oz Corn Maize
8 oz Honey
1 oz Williamette Hops or Cluster Hops (haven't decided)
Cream Ale Yeast Blend (White Labs)

Please feel free to chime in on any other part of my recipe

In order for corn to convert starch to sugar, it needs to be mashed. That's easy enough- just use 1 pound of two-row (or six row) US base malt to the steeping grains and hold at 150-155 for an hour. Just delete the pound of extract, and use 1-1.5 pound of base malt instead.

A pound of caramel malt is a lot for me, but if you want a sweeter beer, that will be fine. Twelve ounces of honey malt is a LOT. I guess I'd cut one, or the other, or a bit of both.

I don't know why you have the biscuit malt in there- it brings a "dry" feeling to the beer. That's fine, in most beers, but you have a boat load of sweet malts and then a dry-ish malt so it seems odd to me.

Cluster or willamette for bittering would be fine. You won't taste the actual flavor of them, used for bittering at 60 minutes and in an amount to give you 15-20 IBUs.

Back