Corking sparkling wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whatsgoodmiley

Reaction score
I've collected around 15 of the 25 bottles I need to bottle my 5 gallons of sparkling wine for my wedding. Those bottles are Dom Pierre champagne bottles. I ordered #8 size corks and they do not fit at all. Has anyone had any experience with using these bottles? I do not know what size to order or where to find them really. I guess I could start collecting other bottles from work that have thick glass walls as well (E locations and couple of others).

Okay I just figured out how to use my double lever corker... This post can be deleted. How do I do that?

First, congratulations on your upcoming wedding and marriage.
Best to use champagne bottle stoppers. They come with wire cages that enable you to tie the stoppers to the bottle. Your local home brew store will have them.
Corks are likely to pop because of the pressure that builds up in the bottle. The stoppers with the cages are (all other things being equal - such as the fact that the pressure build-up will not be too excessive) designed to stay in place under pressure

I don't have a local homebrew store :(

I do have pvc shrink tops to help keep them sealed. I was also considering dipping the bottles in wax to help support the cork. Do you think that either of these ideas would work? If not I'll find some cages somewhere on amazon.

Beer bottle caps do for on Dom Pierre bottles but I can't cap them without crimping them with pliers or something because the capper won't fit. Thanks Maylar and everyone else!!

Back