Corking Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbles541

Reaction score
A little back-story:
1 gal. Ms. Gooch's Organic Apple juice
1 pkg. Rize Organic Yeast.

It has gone through about 24 hours of fermentation by now, and it is bubbling away. I am planning on putting it into a various assortment of bottles I have around the house. I have 4 Ginger Beer bottles that are 375 ml, and 2 half liter bottles(with built in locking tops). How should I go about bottling the smaller bottles? I have store bought corks and I was planning on pouring the cider in, and corking them with a rubber mallet. Does anything have suggestions on sterilizing and corking?

Thanks,

Rob

ah gooch cider..........

your gonna have a hard time without a proper corker getting them into the bottles, also, you need cages and at least belgian corks to be able to hold pressure, wine corks will not work

as far as sanitizing, I generally dont worry about it, although you could easily use a bit of iodophor or starsan if you wanted to

These aren't wine corks, they are just your average Joe Tapered corks. I am fairly sure I could make some cages no problem. There aren't any local brew shops down here in my area. That's why most of this is just odds and ends thrown together.

Thanks for the tips though. I'll look into getting some proper corks, and maybe a corker if this batch turns out better than I'm expecting.

Rob.

I wouldn't pour the cider into the bottles. You want to prevent any oxidation to finished cider. Most people siphon to bottles, from one container to the next, to avoid any risk of oxidation.

I wouldn't pour the cider into the bottles. You want to prevent any oxidation to finished cider. Most people siphon to bottles, from one container to the next, to avoid any risk of oxidation.

It was just a figure of speech, but good looking out. :)

Latest posts

Back