corking ommegang syle 750ml bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibrewdou

Reaction score
:confused: i've got the 750ml belgian (duvel-ommegang) bottles with the large round flared tops that had domed corks in them. i want to re-use them. will the plastic champgne corks work? and if not what is the best cork to use as i cannot find corks like those that were in them originally. thanks for the help.:mug: :mug:

I know the LHBS near me rents their corker for like $10 a day. This would be worth it if you are on a budget. I agree the morebeer corks are the way to go, also you need to get the cages as well, else your corks will go a flying! :mug:

This is a cool project that I am also planning for my next Belgian style brau.

Also make sure it's a Champagne corker. It has a larger diameter opening to handle the larger Belgian style corks. I have the bench model Champagne corker and it works great.

Another tip: Slip a #7 stopper over the plunger. This will insure that the cork is inserted at the perfect depth in the bottle.
Corker 003.jpg

Finished bottles
gow bottles 006.jpg

:rockin: very nice! thank you. those bottles look great. i'll have to see if my lhbs will rent one of the champgne floor corkers. my father in law has a floor wine corker but the belgian bottles have a larger neck opening??, and therefore the regular wine corks and/or plastic champagne corks wont work? i like the stopper depth adj. on the corker though, thats very macgyver! cages came with my plastic corks so im set there. and thanks for the morebeer reference, big help.

p.s., how much force does it require to push the compressed cork into the neck of the bottle? and you spray the area that the cork contacts with one step and soak the corks as well? a wet cork always slips into a tight neck more easily????

I don't mean to hijack, but I have a related question.

I was planning to reuse some of these with my wine. For a still wine, do I still need to worry about using champagne corks and corking equipment or will regular corks work fine?

Brewtopia said:
You don't need much force with the Champagne corker. Even a dry cork inserts pretty easily.

although a little cork soaking might help the process along a bit. i've found that insertion is easier with a wet cork. ;)

Back