Corking Belgian Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
Okay, I've got a belgian strong dark ale in primary right now, and I've been saving up belgian 750mL bottles from work for months. I finally have enough to do an entire batch in. LHBS has corks, cages, and a corking tool, but my question is about sanitization.

What's the best way to sanitize the corks? Is it bad to get them wet beforehand, like with an alcohol or iodophor soak, or will that be okay? I'm still at least a week away from bottling, and I can always abort and go with normal capped bottles, but I'd like to have a batch of big beautiful belgians this time. :D

Take a bowl and dump some sanitizing solution in it.
Toss in the corks and circulate them around in the solution.
Drain and place in a sanitized colander or leave them in the solution and grab'em out while you are corking.

Glibbidy said:
Take a bowl and dump some sanitizing solution in it.
Toss in the corks and circulate them around in the solution.
Drain and place in a sanitized colander or leave them in the solution and grab'em out while you are corking.

So there's no worry about them being wet or anything? That actually exactly how I do bottle caps. :D

I have been told to use Potassium Metabisulfite (sp?) to sanitize corks, but I am not sure why that is more preferable to any other sanitizer.

I have used that with the same technique that Glibbidy mentioned.

- magno

EDIT: I think you want them to be wet. They go in easier, and seal better

Wet is okay. Sitting in solution while you are bottling is fine.
I KNOW you won't leave them in for an extended period of time so you have nothing to worry about.;)

On a related note, I've got about six dozen Chimay bottles that I'm going to be throwing out. I just don't have the storage space, and I don't really want to use them for my own bottles, as I prefer unmarked bottles. I work at a bar and can get an almost unlimited supply of bottles, given enough time, so I can afford to be picky. If there's anyone that lives in the Clear Lake/Seabrook area that wants them, let me know in the next couple days. Otherwise, I'm just going to toss them.

Do you have the same style corks that come in the belgans? I haven't been able to find them, only the plastic top or all plastic ones.

My LHBS has belgian corks and cages. They also sell wine making items, so they've got the corking tools as well. Does anyone have a recommendation on what is the best combination of price, quality, and ease of use for corkers?

The only one I have ever used sucsessfully is the floor model that some LHBS's rent. I tried to use a $6.95 hand model once, but i was a major PITA. I wound up returning it for credit on the rental.

That sounds awesome, but I don't know how often I'll be doing belgian batches. This will be the first time in fifteen batches, and I have no idea when I'll do it again. I'll have to ask the LHBS if they rent a super corker. Of corse, if this is a lifetime hobby, it could be worth it. Hmm, decisions decisions...

Back