Coriander and Orange Peel Amounts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carvetop

Reaction score
Alright, please set me straight here... the wife wants a Blue Moon clone and I’m getting VERY mixed opinions as to the proper amount of spice for a 5G batch. I’m afraid that much of what I’m reading isn’t differentiating between oz and tsp when it comes to these additions. For those of you who’ve made this beer successfully, what amounts (in tsp) did you find were ideal? Of course I’m expecting variation in opinion but would love to narrow it down a bit. Also would love to hear from those who’ve used fresh orange zest either as an addition or full substitution. Thanking the hbt nation in advance!

Funny this question should come up...... just yesterday I weighed some coriander to find out what's what. Here's everything I know:

5 grams per Tbsp = 0.18 oz per Tbsp = 5.67 Tbsp per oz = 1/3 cup per oz = 1.67 grams per tsp = 0.6 tsp per gram

I got a bronze medal for a witbier where I'd used 3/4 oz in 5 gallons. This was years ago but my notes had recommended using only 1/4 oz in 5 gallons next time, which would be a little less than 1.5 tablespoons or 4.25 teaspoons. That's what I'll be using next time. This will be for a very subtle coriander character. If you want a bolder flavor, go ahead and use a little more than those.

P.S. I crush and add mine in the last 10 minutes of the boil. If you wanted a very fresh flavor, you could wait until ready to bottle or keg, then soak in a shot of vodka overnight then add the flavored vodka, instead of boiling it.

Last edited:
For my BM clone (yes I read that entire thread a couple years ago, and do occasionally go back and take another look) I use 1 tsp. of orange peel (the dried Valencia stuff) and 1/2 tsp. of crushed coriander. This goes in the last 5 minutes of boil. Most times I also add 1/4 tsp coriander and 1/2 tsp orange peel when I boil up my priming solution, but I always check the aroma and flavor 1st to see if it's needed.

For my BM clone (yes I read that entire thread a couple years ago, and do occasionally go back and take another look) I use 1 tsp. of orange peel (the dried Valencia stuff) and 1/2 tsp. of crushed coriander. This goes in the last 5 minutes of boil. Most times I also add 1/4 tsp coriander and 1/2 tsp orange peel when I boil up my priming solution, but I always check the aroma and flavor 1st to see if it's needed.
This minuscule amount gives enough aroma in 5G? I like the idea of starting small and potentially adding more in solution.

The HB post mentioned by @cmac62 is great, and Nilo did several versions (see this blogpost), I have referenced both, but have not made even a dozen trial batches yet and feel I'm still closing in but not there yet -- so process and water and whatnot affects outcome and perceived "match"-ness.

Currently I use 1/2 oz, weighed on 3 decimal scale, whole coriander that I then run in coffee grinder and add at 10min; and 1 oz dried sweet orange peel, also at 10m

Folks like it better when I bump the orange peel just before serving with @JimRausch 's vodka soak of 1/2cup and zest of orange, soaked a couple days, strained and added to keg right before serving.

You will have to find out what works best for you, wish there was a one size fits all answer.

FWIW I made a 2.5G batch a couple times. The first batch did not have quite enough flavor for me, so the second time I used .32 oz ground coriander and 2oz dried orange peel. (First batch used .20 oz coriander and 1.5oz orange peel.).
I liked the second batch much better and will use those amounts again in the future. I may also add an orange peel soaked in vodka addition as mentioned above.

The HB post mentioned by @cmac62 is great, and Nilo did several versions (see this blogpost), I have referenced both, but have not made even a dozen trial batches yet and feel I'm still closing in but not there yet -- so process and water and whatnot affects outcome and perceived "match"-ness.

Currently I use 1/2 oz, weighed on 3 decimal scale, whole coriander that I then run in coffee grinder and add at 10min; and 1 oz dried sweet orange peel, also at 10m

Folks like it better when I bump the orange peel just before serving with @JimRausch 's vodka soak of 1/2cup and zest of orange, soaked a couple days, strained and added to keg right before serving.

You will have to find out what works best for you, wish there was a one size fits all answer.

Thanks for the replies! Looking back at the referenced thread, Wayne said that for a 15bbl batch, he used 90oz of ground coriander and 32oz of Valencia orange peel. A bit of math tells us that this works out to 0.19oz (5.5g) coriander per gallon and 0.07oz (2.0g) orange peel per gallon. For a 5G batch that works out to 1.0oz (28g) of coriander and 0.35oz (10g) of orange peel.
Based on what I’m seeing here, I think cutting the coriander rate in half and doubling the orange peel rate is a good starting place for me.

Back