copper wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creekwaterbrew

Reaction score
Made a wort chiller out of copper from home depot. Kind of worried that it might have traces of other dangerous elements in it (according to other brew forums) it passed California prop 65 which is a serious safety regulation so I think its ok to dunk in my wort. Any thoughts? Also still gives off metallic scent, will that affect my beer? Thanks guys

You probably have Mueller copper tubing from Homedepot so you're ok (verify that you have Mueller). I've talked to the company about their copper products and they sent me a letter (too big to post here) about their tubing. However their cast copper products *may* not be compliant (look for the NL for the CA-lead free version).

Mine is from a company called everbilt. :/

ForumRunner_20130706_173355.jpg

ForumRunner_20130706_173433.jpg

I just built some copper pieces for my HLT and kettle. All of my research pointed to only using type K, L, or M copper for anything that touches wort. The refrigeration and industrial types might give off some nasties. Check the actual coil for any stamping that reads NSF. The box I had listed type K, L, and M as safe for water use which is good enough for me.

I just built some copper pieces for my HLT and kettle. All of my research pointed to only using type K, L, or M copper for anything that touches wort. The refrigeration and industrial types might give off some nasties. Check the actual coil for any stamping that reads NSF. The box I had listed type K, L, and M as safe for water use which is good enough for me.

Interesting. This brings up a couple questions:
1) What kind of copper tubing is used in the manufacture of commercial immersion chillers? Do they use the refrigeration tubing, or something designed for potable water?
2) The built-in water dispensers and ice-makers in home refrigerators are usually plumbed with 1/4" copper tubing. What kind of tubing is used there?

The picture of the carton above shows uses for everything BUT plumbing. It is lead-free, but is it safe for potable water? If not, a bunch of us who have made DIY chillers (myself included) are in trouble. :eek:

If the copper is lead-free IMHO there's no problem. Wet copper brings to oxidation. If you clean and dry it after the use, there's nothing else to be worried about. Of course it will be oxidised inside, but you can ignore it. If you see traces of oxidation outside, you can use vinegar with salt and some elbow grease :D
Then you dry it and you place it in a bag/something else, protected from light and dust.

NSF/ANSI 61G is going to be retired but it's still in effect (until Oct 2013.... replaced by NSF-372). A product that is 61g compliant means that the wettable surface is comprised of less than 0.25% lead by weight. In some states "lead free" meant <2% which is a significant difference.

Btw, the Mueller stuff in the Home Depot and Lowes in and around San Diego is made of:
99.90% copper
00.02% Phosphorus
which leaves a max possible amount of lead to be .08%, but there's other stuff in there so it's less than that.

IMHO I think you're ok with the stuff you have.

Back