Copper vs Stainless for Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please do a search for this topic. It has been beaten like a misbehaving horse and I don't have the energy to hash out all the subtleties here.

Long story short... it doesn't matter. Due to the thermal situation our wort chillers are in and the tiny wall thickness of the metal, the heat transfer through the tubing becomes insignificant. The conclusion is that copper is obviously a better conductor on its own, but in our situation it makes negligible difference. At most, using SS will add 30-90 seconds to your cooling time.

Get what you like and fits your budget. Copper is cheaper, but many (myself included) are certifiably addicted to SS... make up your own mind, and do a search if you want to spend the rest of your day reading about it.

Sorry to have wasted your time

He's not trying to be mean, but it's just that all the info you need about it is already on here, you won't get many of the people with a lot of experience who have already answered this question answering again, and again...So if you really want to know the info, take a look at what was already posted about it...

search.jpg

(I just made this for our sign thread...but it fits.)

:D

Yeah, pretty much what Boerdu.... Boarn.....Bugadr..... (Damn, there must have been one heck of a sale on consanants when they named you!).... whats-his-name said. He summed it up nicely, but there are quite a few in-depth threads on this topic already.

Well, he used to have a different avatar...it was easier then, we just called him "Donkey Sniffer."

Now I guess you could say gnome on barrel guy and we'd know what you meant.

Sorry to have wasted your time

Not wasting my time at all:tank:

I was just pointing out that if you want a REALLY long answer it is at your finger tips with the search function. My short answer really gives you the long and the shirt of it.

Revvy, you can still call me a Donkey Sniffer if you want. :mug:

in retrospect my relpy was a little terse and maybe misunderstood. I did not do a search. In the 6 months I've been reading this forum I don't recall seeing this topic before, but I'm old :confused: but still a newbie at the same time.

I will be more liberal in the use of the search features.

I do appreciate the information you provided.

Back