COPPER vs. SS???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelikesit2000

Reaction score
I am planning my brutus and would like to know the pros and cons of running Copper piping vs. Stainless steel. Thanks in advance

Copper is easier to work with, and generally cheaper and more readily available. Stainless is non-reactive, for the most part, and easier to clean.

Copper is easier to work with, and generally cheaper and more readily available. Stainless is non-reactive, for the most part, and easier to clean.

You mean easier to clean after a brew? Would that be running a TSP(trisodiumphosphate) solution through it?

What are you contemplating using the copper or stainless steel for? Are you going to hard plumb between kegs and pumps? I use 1/2 inch silicone tubing for that purpose. The only copper tubing I have is dip tubes and recirculation returns in my boil kettle and MLT.

What are you contemplating using the copper or stainless steel for? Are you going to hard plumb between kegs and pumps? I use 1/2 inch silicone tubing for that purpose. The only copper tubing I have is dip tubes and recirculation returns in my boil kettle and MLT.

Yes. I am going to hard pipe my system. As a Pipefitter I understand the mechanical pros & cons. I'm just not too sure of the chemical effects (taste, odor, color....) that copper will have. I assume none because brewers have been using copper kettles for decades.

I plan on not using any fittings for bends. I will bend each run entirely. I will also use dielectric fittings between the SS vessels and the copper tube.

I think it would look nice with the copper all shiny and the frame painted a metalic root beer color.

Sounds very interesting. I hope you post pictures of it when you are done. I would love to see it.

I use my pumps in different configurations depending on what I'm doing. I presume you'll need to do the same. Will you use three way valves to route the flow through different pipe circuits?

I use my pumps in different configurations depending on what I'm doing. I presume you'll need to do the same. Will you use three way valves to route the flow through different pipe circuits?

I am not sure. Havn't got that far. I like the idea of using three-way valves. It would make for a clean looking finished build.

Back