copper supplements for H2S

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebbelwoi

Reaction score
I've read about copper pipes and copper pennies being used to remove H2S. I'm wondering if anyone has tried copper supplements?

These come in 2mg tablets. Since it's 2mg for a daily dose, I'm guessing a single 2mg tablet or less per gallon wouldn't have much effect on the body, though it might affect people with certain medical conditions.

Has anyone tried it? Should I give it a go?

I've read about copper pipes and copper pennies being used to remove H2S. I'm wondering if anyone has tried copper supplements?

These come in 2mg tablets. Since it's 2mg for a daily dose, I'm guessing a single 2mg tablet or less per gallon wouldn't have much effect on the body, though it might affect people with certain medical conditions.

Yes I did last week. I used copper sulphate crystals. I can't find the link where I extracted the info as I have left it with my notes in my office. But as I recall, I made up a 1% solution then added ( I think) 1 ml per gallon. Search the web. Otherwise I’ll revert tomorrow.

Here is a link to copper sulphate additions..
http://www.wineadds.com/faq/copper

Looking at my notes - I added 1 ml of 1% Soln to my 10 litre carboy

Wow, 1ml of 1%, and you're using a 10-liter container to my 1-liter. Hmm. That's a pretty tiny amount.

I'm not sure what the difference would be between copper and copper sulfate would be in terms of performance. Any thoughts?

I picked up some Japanese chuzarato, which is a refined sugar that is formed into tiny blocks, then sprayed with caramel. Apparently, it has some copper in it. Maybe that'll be enough to do the trick. Thanks for your input!

Latest posts

Back