Copper immersion wort chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello is this discolored stuff on my wort chiller normal? https://i.imgur.com/L4hMg58.jpg
All I see is slightly oxidized copper, the same as you see on a penny or a copper bottomed sauce pan. It's completely normal and you don't need to do anything about it. If you get green or blue powdery spots you should scrub them off, but those brown patches are harmless.

Oxidized copper is actually A Good Thing. The more the better.
Verdigris, otoh, is A Bad Thing. Clean off the green, leave the brown...

Cheers!

Looks fine. Mine often looks like that, up until I let it sit for the last 10 min of a boil. Then its shiny.

A few times I’ve let it sit in starsan for 10 minutes prior to end of boil and it looks like new. Anecdotal evidence from other brewers has led me to believe this isnt the best way to go about sanitizing as some have had their ICs eaten away after several prolonged soaks in starsan (like an hour+)

Looks fine. Mine often looks like that, up until I let it sit for the last 10 min of a boil. Then its shiny.

A few times I’ve let it sit in starsan for 10 minutes prior to end of boil and it looks like new. Anecdotal evidence from other brewers has led me to believe this isnt the best way to go about sanitizing as some have had their ICs eaten away after several prolonged soaks in starsan (like an hour+)
I agree with NGD. Boiling water or wort to sanitize, thorough water rinse to clean is all that's needed for copper. I have stainless-screen-wrapped copper manifolds in my mash tun and kettle, and a homemade copper counterflow chiller. None of them have ever seen any cleaning or sanitizing chemicals, except for a thorough detergent wash and hot water rinse after fabrication. I always store them dry.

I agree with NGD. Boiling water or wort to sanitize, thorough water rinse to clean is all that's needed for copper. I have stainless-screen-wrapped copper manifolds in my mash tun and kettle, and a homemade copper counterflow chiller. None of them have ever seen any cleaning or sanitizing chemicals, except for a thorough detergent wash and hot water rinse after fabrication. I always store them dry.
You're supposed to wash it after you make it?

That explains that weird flavor the first time I used it...

Back