Copper immersion chiller in iodophor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnakeAnthony6375

Reaction score
I have heard rumors that it's not great to put a copper immersion chiller in StarSan, but what about iodophor? I watched a brewingtv episode where they had their immersion chiller in StarSan and it made me wonder...

I sanitize my chiller via the last 15 minutes of my boil, but I'd love a way to avoid that. It tends to knock my boil way down and get in the way of attempted whirlpooling...

Any thoughts?

You could always use your oven on warm to warm up the chiller before putting it in the boil.

There is nothing wrong with using starsan. The acidity cleans the copper also. However if you put the chiller into the boil at flameout you wouldn't care that it knocked the boil down. What lives at 207f that dies at 212f?

I don't think star san will hurt your chiller. Most copper cleaners are acid based. But I'm more confident that boiling the chiller is the best way to sanitize it. IMHO sanitation is the highest priority.

PS: Why is this question in the AG forum?

I rinse my chiller off in the sink to get rid of dust then dunk it in a bucket of iodophor until I'm done boiling.

Never had a problem with the beers or the chiller. The main reason I started doing it was to keep my hoses away from the burner.

likewise...I dust mine off and put it into the boil with 5 minutes left. I make sure I give it a good rinse before putting it away.

I clean and rinse my copper coil chiller in the sink, inside and out, then run an iodine solution through it. When it is full of iodine solution I drop it in the iodine solution bucket until I'm ready for it. I run my wort through the chiller which sits in an ice bath, rather than the other way around, much more efficient. I try to be sure to clean it inside and out after use and drain it dry. I have not noticed any effects from iodine, other than the supposed sterilizing.

I clean and rinse my copper coil chiller in the sink, inside and out, then run an iodine solution through it. When it is full of iodine solution I drop it in the iodine solution bucket until I'm ready for it. I run my wort through the chiller which sits in an ice bath, rather than the other way around, much more efficient. I try to be sure to clean it inside and out after use and drain it dry. I have not noticed any effects from iodine, other than the supposed sterilizing.

Do you use a pump? Or is it all gravity?

Back