Copper has a max temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollowdp

Reaction score
So I just got my 50' of 3/8" copper tubing to build my immersion chiller from coppertubingsales.com. I can't say enough about their customer service, the first coil got lost somewhere in the bowels of DHLs sorting facility and they sent me a new one no questions asked immediately. Anyways, it gets here and on the box it says there's a maximum temperature of 180*F. Well since I plan on throwing it in during the boil this presents a bit of a problem. Is this just a warning to prevent it from igniting or burning something it comes in contact with or is it going to melt in my boil kettle?

Copper has a melting point of 2000 F, so don't worry. There may be a subtle change in mechanical properties at 180 F but it has no effect on our uses of copper in brewing. Don't forget one name for a boil kettle is a boiling copper, because before stainless steel was introduced, copper was the standard material of construction for brewery equipment. Use and don't worry.

Temp ratings on closed systems usually go hand in hand with a pressure rating. That temp rating is likely the highest recommended temp at max system pressure.

Thanks guys. I fully intended to use it but being curious I had to know why there would be a max temp rating. The box is labeled refrigeration line which I assume would be used in a closed system so the pressure theory makes sense.

Back