Copper ferm chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MStoren

Reaction score
I want put a copper coil into my fermentor to control temps, but I’m not sure what effect copper will have (flavour, toxicity) when exposed to beer for 2 or 3 weeks. Anyone have any advice.

You simply don't need the rapid temperature changes that the copper coils would provide. It's not like chilling a kettle of hot wort in 15 minutes. This is a long-term thing. Your fermenter full of beer is a large thermal mass. Once its temp is brought close to the target it doesn't take much to maintain a fairly consistent temperature. A good 2-stage temp controller, coupled with the freezer and some small heating device will do just fine. Over the course of a 2-3 week fermentation time, the short time needed to make minor temperature changes is insignificant.

You simply don't need the rapid temperature changes that the copper coils would provide. It's not like chilling a kettle of hot wort in 15 minutes. This is a long-term thing. Your fermenter full of beer is a large thermal mass. Once its temp is brought close to the target it doesn't take much to maintain a fairly consistent temperature. A good 2-stage temp controller, coupled with the freezer and some small heating device will do just fine. Over the course of a 2-3 week fermentation time, the short time needed to make minor temperature changes is insignificant.
Have considered many options. Immersion chillers will work best for me ( limited space). SS FTSs might work, but I’ll have see if I can retrofit into my fast ferment conical. Copper would have been much cheaper as I can manufacture myself. I have no way of bending stainless.

I want to able to control temp within a degree or two. I’m thinking I might wrap the copper around the outside of the conical now. Plastic doesn’t have great heat transfer, so I’ll probably wrap an insulator around the whole thing. Starting to get a little silly now. At some point I’ll just get the SS brew bucket and chiller coil and quit wasting my time.

Back