Copper chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops4life

Reaction score
I am very excited I received a copper submersion wort chiller for Christmas along with a few other supplies and goodies from AHB. My question for those experienced with using these chillers is if there is anything I need to do before initial use? Other than the obvious wash it and sanitize it are there any steps I should take to keep from brewing a batch then immediately screwing it? Thanks in advance.

I am very excited I received a copper submersion wort chiller for Christmas along with a few other supplies and goodies from AHB. My question for those experienced with using these chillers is if there is anything I need to do before initial use? Other than the obvious wash it and sanitize it are there any steps I should take to keep from brewing a batch then immediately screwing it? Thanks in advance.

Nope you're good. Remember when you submerge it in your beer its borderline boiling so any nasties (if any) will die.

If it uses hose clamps to connect the hoses to the copper, make sure they are good and tight, a lot of them just aren't totally tight when you get them home.

Other than that, just drop it in the kettle 15 minutes before and it will clean and sanitize it.

Thanks all. All good points. I hadn't thought it would sanitize itself since wort will be boiling initially but that makes perfect sense.

Shelly great point by you too. Definately had not thought of checking that.

Other than that, just drop it in the kettle 15 minutes before and it will clean and sanitize it.

Revvy.. Sanitize yes.. clean.. I'd go the extra step. Reason.. most extrusions.. copper included use a type of lubricant to help the material slide thru the dies as it's being transformed from an ingot to tubing.. a pretty harsh process. I'd do a good wash in TSP.. or better yet.. a soap followed by TSP. The same goes for things like pots. Most are made by a "deep draw" process. It's a multi-stage process done on huge machines. They are lubricated to help the dies slide over the material to form the pot without galling.

Just my $0.02..

When you're done cooling your wort, spray it off right after you remove it from the wort which makes it a lot easier to keep fairly clean.

B

Something to be aware of - the second time you use it, be careful because any water remaining in the coil from the first use, will heat up and shoot out of the openings as the chiller heats up in the boil. You can get burned. The best thing to do is blow the chiller out after each use, a compresser works well.:mug:

Something to be aware of - the second time you use it, be careful because any water remaining in the coil from the first use, will heat up and shoot out of the openings as the chiller heats up in the boil. You can get burned. The best thing to do is blow the chiller out after each use, a compresser works well.:mug:

very VERY good advice! I have done this twice. :mug:

Also, I just tested my chiller in boiling water before I used it. Even tasted the water afterwards and it was fine. Dont really see the need to clean it prior to use.

Now, I know you're too smart for this advice, but I have to point it out because I was stupid enough to make this mistake on my last brew:

Don't connect your hoses until after the boil is completed. I (still not sure why) boiled my wort chiller with the hoses connected. Now, the silicone tubing can take a lot of temperature, but the heat coming off of the burner melted it right in two. Luckily it melted it close to the end, so I just cut the tubing off and re-clamped it, but it's not something I'll do again.

Back