Copitching yeast in a brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepy_D

Reaction score
I made a British brown ale today and undershot my OG pretty substantially. Supposed to be 1.046 and ended up at 1.041. I was planning g on using Wyeast 1469 west workshire to get some nutty/fruity notes but this yeast has a pretty low attenuation and I need this beer to finish dryer (already slapped the slap pack tho so i need to use it). I think I’m going to copitch Nottingham since I on the fence about using that anyway. My question is should I add both at the same time or add the West Yorkshire first, wait for it to finish and then add Nottingham to finish it the rest of the way? If I add both should I add a half pack of each or all of both?

You've already made a decision by now, but in case the decision was to pitch 1469 and then pitch the other yeast later... You might want to consider that the beer is already going to finish drier than originally planned due to the unexpectedly low OG. IOW, the fact that your OG is lower than expected shouldn't have triggered this line of thinking.

Also, Wyeast 1469 may not be the low attenuator you think it is. It's published range is 67%-71%, but those published ranges can be misleading. When Greg Doss of Wyeast ran a series attenuation trials comparing various strains' attenuation with a common wort, 1469 had attenuation comparable to (a little higher than) 1056 (for example). 1469 was about 78% in the trials, but always keep in mind that wort fermentability is also key.

I'd just pitch 1469 into well aerated wort then rouse and stir the yeast head back in when it's fully formed. I'm not a fan of co-pitching yeast strains, I find no detectable benefits. Often I've much preferred the same beer fermented with one strain.

say in this scenario the OP had removed a sachet of Nottingham from the fridge and let it come up to temp as the decision was mulled. nothing wrong with replacing the sachet back to the fridge for storage, right?

that's got to happen a couple times to the sachet as it moves through supply chain anyway... I would think. just thinking generally about yeast handling procedure.

that's got to happen a couple times to the sachet as it moves through supply chain anyway...
It doesn't get smacked, though...

But I too think he can put it back into the fridge, but only after around 6 hours on the counter, so she's allowed to fully rebuild first. The yeast will then go dormant again.
Then next time maybe make a starter with it before pitching. Even a vitality starter is better than no starter at all.

Generally it's advised that all liquid yeast should be verified to be alive and propagated with a starter, well ahead of pitching...

say in this scenario the OP had removed a sachet of Nottingham from the fridge and let it come up to temp as the decision was mulled. nothing wrong with replacing the sachet back to the fridge for storage, right?

that's got to happen a couple times to the sachet as it moves through supply chain anyway... I would think. just thinking generally about yeast handling procedure.
It doesn't get smacked, though...

But I too think he can put it back into the fridge, but only after around 6 hours on the counter, so she's allowed to fully rebuild first. The yeast will then go dormant again.
Then next time maybe make a starter with it before pitching. Even a vitality starter is better than no starter at all.

Generally it's advised that all liquid yeast should be verified to be alive and propagated with a starter, well ahead of pitching...
I didn’t make it clear, it’s the West Yorkshire that was in the already slapped slap pack and fully inflated and ready to go. I ended up putting all the West Yorkshire in the wort and like half of a sachet of dried Nottingham last night. This will be a learning experience for me lol I’ll report back and let everyone know how it ended up.

Dry yeast isn't sufficiently active for temp changes, like fridge or freezer to room, to make any difference. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Back