Copied 1 Gallon Beer Kit Modified (and screwed up) :D

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Tennessee Brew

Reaction score
Ok guys I took the ingredients from a Brewers best 1 gallon DME and modified it. My last one came out ok, bit weak and I messed up and dry hopped making it a bit harsh on the bitterness but its still drinkable. So I decided to change it up some and still ended up screwing one recipe up

RECIPE 1

1.75 Gal Spring Water Post Boil (screwed up on my measurements, notes below)
16 ounces Pilsen Light DME
(once I realized my water mistake, I added 4 ounces DME at flameout hoping to correct my mistake)
Final total was 20 Ounces Pilsen light DME
4 ounces Brown Rice
1 cup of Honey

3 grams Yakima Citra @60
1 Gram Yakima Citra @15
Boil for full 60
I noticed OG wasn't where I wanted it so added in a simple 1/2 cup sugar to get it to 1.040

Since I screwed up on this was I was like #%^$^ it I will experiment so I split into two fermenters
Pitched Safale US-05 on one
Pitched fleischmann's off the shelf yeast on the other.

Started on 06/23
The one with Safale US-05 looks good, smells great
The fleischmann's is a bit skunky
(will re-do this one right sometime this week)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECIPE 2

1 Gallon Spring Water post boil (got it right this time)f
16 Ounces Pilsen Light DME
4 Ounces Brown Rice
3g German Huell Melon @60
Safale US-05 and ferment at room temp

Started 06/24

OP
OP
Tennessee Brew

Tennessee Brew

Reaction score
Ok let me rephrase that.. it added a bit of a strong flavor, not sure how to describe it. Prob woulda been great if I hadn't fooled with it.

OP
OP
Tennessee Brew

Tennessee Brew

Reaction score
How long did you dry hop for? Personally, have never had a dry hop brew that was made worse from it.

General rule of thumb is 5-7 days anymore than that and you'll get some grassy/strong flavors.

That may have been the problem. I cant recall now for sure but yeh it was around 7-10 before I bottled it. I mean its drinkable, just left a flavor I didn't like
Trial and error, we will see how these last two come out.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
how are you converting the brown rice? and are you doing a cereal mash first?

i did an awesome stout with a couple pounds brown rice in a 10 g batch, but i cooked the brown rice in a pressure cooker, and added it to a all-grain mash....

OP
OP
Tennessee Brew

Tennessee Brew

Reaction score
how are you converting the brown rice? and are you doing a cereal mash first?

i did an awesome stout with a couple pounds brown rice in a 10 g batch, but i cooked the brown rice in a pressure cooker, and added it to a all-grain mash....

Yes on one I used plain old brown precooked rice, regular brown rice on the second. Cant really notice much difference between the two other than the plain rice left a bit more residue but no biggies to me. Once done I will filter this so should be fine.

Im still learning in all this. Ive made beer before but it was more of a "wing it" type thing in the shed out back although some came out great, some tasted horrible lol.