Cooper's Stout Kit (TEMP ISSUE)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chewy107

Reaction score
The package contained a Stout beer kit, Brew Enhancer 1 and Carbonation drops. I pitched the yeast provided at 24C (FV Reading) on Jan 13. I left my weekend house on the Jan. 16 with FV Temp at 24C. Very little sign of fermentation. I saw a little small line of slim. Left the thermostat at 70F (21C) degrees and left the FV in a small room. The ave temp in the region is around -8c (25f) outside.

So, I just arrived at the house and the FV was at 32C!!!! I am stunned! It -8C outside and snowing! This room was close to 90F!! What do I do? I can obviously bring the temp down to 24C ASAP and doing that as I am writing this. I opened the top and saw almost no mess at all. Just this little thin line of scum. I've seen online these huge messy FV's. I grabbed my spoon and gave the beer a good spin. What else should I do??

Please help guys. Ive looked around. Ive read(https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ferment ... rn-216901/) The temperature can become a huge problem if you can not maintain it at 72f(22c) or below. Higher temperatures can cause some strange off flavors, a really bad one being fusel. I have had problems fermenting too high, and I can vouch that the end product was not good. It took a year for that batch to mellow enough to be drinkable.

Coopers Hydrometer (Broken)
OG:1050
FG?:1020

The bulk of fermentation should have taken place within the first couple days when it was at 24C. That is still rather high. I don't see the sub 80 degree temps having a major impact after the third day of fermentation.

At this point I would leave the vessel in a cool spot for a several weeks. This will allow the yeast to re-absorb any byproducts and the beer to drop completely clear before packaging.

Coopers yeast is very forgiving of high temps. It's also a very fast fermenter. I wouldn't be surprised if it was almost done 36 hours after starting.

You'll be fine.

+1 for what PT Ray said I am doing the same kit right now and the fermentation slowed way down after the first 3 days. So you should be fine. I am also very new to this hobby and I did my stout a little different then what it called for. I used one can of the coopers stout mix and i can coopers dark malt extract and then add 0.5 lbs. of dextrose, then pitched the yeast. should be interesting to see the final outcome.

I didn't see any fermentation in the bucket after a week and the beer smelled awful. I did a english bitter with much better results and back in the flow of things. Currently, getting ready to start an Irish Stout. I hope I dont have a stout curse and this batch goes according to plan.

Have made the white can Original Series Coopers Stout a number of times with the kit yeast + 1KG dry malt instead of other sugars and it will turn out fabulous. Google "Ditch's Stout" for verification on the impressive quality. In my last Coopers Stout batch I used the highly reviewed Wyeast 1968 liquid London Ale yeast and comparatively there is not much taste difference as both versions are very good in side by side tastings. The strong Stout kit flavors dominate more than the yeast with aging.

Ferment at lower temperatures and to improve quality do a two or three week primary(we use a 10 gallon pail with a 6-mil vapor barrier plastic cover). The yeast need time to clean up after themselves which is especially helpful for new brewers.

Zainasheff & Palmers newest book states using a minimum 1 week(but up to a 4 week) primary ONLY without any secondary for better beer. Jamil uses a 10 day primary without a secondary but he has all his award winning variables down to a science while newer brewers like me require a longer primary time.

Those books were changed when we proved on here a secondary isn't needed. And that a longer primary is beneficial to the brew. While cooper's yeasts can tolerate high heat,it'll create a whole host of off flavors. Keep those temps down near minimum for cleaner flavors. Not to mention,less aging time to make them good to drink. But to make them great instead.

Back