Coopers Real Ale with Orange? Need Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeye

Reaction score
I brewed up a 5 gal batch of Coopers Real Ale, brown and white sugar and the yeast that came with the Coopers. This is only my second brew, first being a Mr Beer Kit. I'd like to add some orange to it but not sure what kind or how much.
It is almost ready to bottle for carbing. Ferm is done and I had this late idea to add some orange.
I would also be open to hear whatelse might work. I'd like to get it bottled by Nov 1st so it will be ready for the game on Nov 22nd(my bday)
What kind and how much?
Thanks all!

Bitter orange peel, available at your brewstore if you have one though thats usually early in the process and not at bottling. But maybe you could very finely grate some fresh orange peel and mix it in with your priming sugar, you will just have increased sediment when you go to drink it. Not ideal but not the end of the world either.

Anyone think this guy could use some orange juice concentrate from the grocery store in place of priming sugar to impart orange-ness to it? I would let someone else weigh in on that, don't take it as advice but only an idea.

I just know I would avoid anything artificial because it can/would interfere with proper carbonation and possibly create off-flavors.

Bi...
Anyone think this guy could use some orange juice concentrate from the grocery store in place of priming sugar to impart orange-ness to it? I would let someone else weigh in on that, don't take it as advice but only an idea.

I just know I would avoid anything artificial because it can/would interfere with proper carbonation and possibly create off-flavors.

that sounds like a good idea to me :) just how fermentable is orange juice concentrate ??

I made a batch of Coopers Ale and added some orange spiced tea (3 bags worth) into 1 L. of water along with my priming sugar. It was a little weird at first...but after a few weeks the spicey quality began to mellow out and it all came together quite nicely

OK we have decided to add some cranberry flavor to it since it will be drank around thanksgiving.
If were to add some type of cranberry concentrate(frozen juice like?) How much would I add for 5 gallons?
We have had and liked alot of the fruit flavored brews offered at the LHBS and would love to come up with a nice cranberry tasting brew.
Help with the ingredients!

Back