Coopers mexican cerveza - is 16C too low?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

globell

Reaction score
My brew room is 16C/61F on the table and 12C/54F on the floor.
Will this create any off flavours? Recipe (as to manufacturers instructions with additon of dextrose and light DME) states 21-27C. If I move it to another part of the house the the temps will fluctuate as we have wood heat.

This is my first beer - normally into cider....and 12-16C is perfect.

The only other option is to pop by carboy heater strap on it but not sure that it's final temp will be (65-70 something?)

What would you do?

porterpounder

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on the yeast strain and how much yeast you pitch. Due to the lower temperature, you're going to need quite a bit more yeast to complete fermentation without causing acetaldehyde issues in the beer and poor attenuation. A lager yeast or hybrid German ale yeast is more appropriate for those temps, but also with a good pitch rate.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
I ferment at an ambient temp of 61 degrees all the time because that's what my basement is. I use sa05/wlp001, etc... it's just a tad too cool for the yeast to fully do their job so I have to move my fermentor upstairs about 5 days into fermentation. This allows the yeast to clean up acetaldehyde and other unwanted byproducts of fermentation.
I'd let it ride at 61 degrees but if I were you i'd move it to warmer temp after about 5 days of fermentation. You really only need to be careful about temps while the beer is in the rigorous part of fermentation. After that it's good to warm it up a little bit.

Latest posts