Coopers Mexican Cerveza..infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

zerosync

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

First post so excuse my ignorance if this post is in the wrong place. :/

3 weeks ago I brewed a Coopers Mexican Cerveza using 1.5kg of light LME and US-05 yeast.

All was well until 2 days ago when I wanted the fermentor to start a new batch, so I racked the Cerveza to a Carboy to give it a week in that before I put it in the keg. However it was 12PM I was rushing and forgot to sanitize the carboy(idiot I know).I know this isn't always going to infect your beer but the chances go up a lot. This carboy was my parents old one that I got off them that hasn't been used in a couple years. When I got it there was a small amount of stuff stuck to the side from their last batch. I did clean it with Oxyclean and a carboy brush and then let it soak over night in Oxyclean before rinsing it very well. It was then thrown in the trunk of my car for a 7 hour drive back to my house.

Its been two days since I racked the Cerveza to the Carboy and i just smelt it and it has a strong molasses smell that I never noticed before, so I took a small sample and it has a molasses taste as well. This is not tasting good at all right now and I figured after 3 weeks in the fermentor it would actually be half drinkable by now, but it is far from it.

Should I RDWHAHB and leave it in the carboy? dump it? Keg it now?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

MonsterBrew

Reaction score
Is there any noticeable infections or anything that looks like mold? The thing with Oxyclean is it's a great cleaner but not a sanitizer. There still could have been bacteria despite how clean it looks but it doesn't mean there was an infection. I guess if the taste is really unbearable to dump it but who knows it might taste better once cold and carbonated.

-Jeff

OP
Z

zerosync

Reaction score
Yea im not sure. I only put in light dry malt extract so being a cerveza it should have no funky flavours or anything I figured it should be pretty basic tasting but it has a really strong flavour that I can only describe as molasses flavour. Thanks for the reply!