Coopers. Mexican cerveca

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmike87

Reaction score
Hi anyone tried coopers Mexican cerveca? What the outcome like? Did you add brew enhancer and sugar or just one of them? Jut started mine tonight Cheers

Hi sorry i've never done a cerveza, but maybe want to do a small batch for my dad. Want to know how it turns out

bigmike87 said:
Hi anyone tried coopers Mexican cerveca? What the outcome like? Did you add brew enhancer and sugar or just one of them? Jut started mine tonight Cheers

I've made this before. Not sure what you mean by brew enhancer. I used a 3lb bag of light DME with mine. Priming sugar when bottling. Turned out fine I guess. Not a fan of the style; made it for my wife. She really enjoyed it. Everything tastes like Corona when you add lime.

thesmithsera said:
Hi sorry i've never done a cerveza, but maybe want to do a small batch for my dad. Want to know how it turns out

Ill keep u posted and let u kno what like and try get some pics. R u brewing at the mo

ehope411 said:
I've made this before. Not sure what you mean by brew enhancer. I used a 3lb bag of light DME with mine. Priming sugar when bottling. Turned out fine I guess. Not a fan of the style; made it for my wife. She really enjoyed it. Everything tastes like Corona when you add lime.

Could you tell me how long it needs in fermentation tub before I can transfer to my pressure barrel with tap

When your hydrometer measures a stable FG 2-3 days apart,it's ready to package. Not sure about the pressure barrels. We don't really use those over here.

bigmike87 said:
Could you tell me how long it needs in fermentation tub before I can transfer to my pressure barrel with tap

I let mine go for 3 weeks.

Yesterday's Mexican whilst taking an s.g it started at 1.040 and is now 1.010. My European lager is going the same way

image-528857368.jpg

unionrdr said:
When your hydrometer measures a stable FG 2-3 days apart,it's ready to package. Not sure about the pressure barrels. We don't really use those over here.

Took yesterday and today both 1.010 is it ready to barrel or should I wait couple days and see if same

bigmike87 said:
Took yesterday and today both 1.010 is it ready to barrel or should I wait couple days and see if same

If you have the patience, you have nothing to lose by waiting another day or two. You might try moving it to a slightly warmer location and taking another reading later this week. Maybe you can shave a couple more points off if the temp increase spurs the remaining yeast to go back to work.

I read on another forum that the manufacturer recommends temps between 21C and 27C. Personally, 27 seems way too high. I wouldn't want to go much past 23C (73.4F) if I could help it.

Of course if you don't want to wait, you could always barrel it!

ehope411 said:
If you have the patience, you have nothing to lose by waiting another day or two. You might try moving it to a slightly warmer location and taking another reading later this week. Maybe you can shave a couple more points off if the temp increase spurs the remaining yeast to go back to work.

I read on another forum that the manufacturer recommends temps between 21C and 27C. Personally, 27 seems way too high. I wouldn't want to go much past 23C (73.4F) if I could help it.

Hi I am at 22C so not to bad or should I move to a warmer place. Today is 1.004

Yesterday's Mexican whilst taking an s.g it started at 1.040 and is now 1.010. My European lager is going the same way

wow looking good. Where did you get that bucket? online or local?? I have those pails that are a devil to see where your liquid level is

bigmike87 said:
Hi I am at 22C so not to bad or should I move to a warmer place. Today is 1.004

If 1.004 is the target FG - or if that exceeds the target FG - I would go ahead and transfer it. You could bring it up a degree or two and and/or take another reading in a couple of days to see if you have a stable reading. But like I said, if it's at or better than target, personally I'd take the next step. Especially if I were chomping at the bit to get a taste!

Cheers!

Those temps from Cooper's & Munton's are wack. way too high for a good flavored beer. Those temps are more like what the yeast can tolerate & still work. 22C equals 71.6F,a tad high. 18-20C would be better (64.4F-68F).

unionrdr said:
Those temps from Cooper's & Munton's are wack. way too high for a good flavored beer. Those temps are more like what the yeast can tolerate & still work. 22C equals 71.6F,a tad high. 18-20C would be better (64.4F-68F).

Agree that the temp range is high and that manufacturer instructions, in general, can be questionable. I once made a 7% English Barleywine that recommended bottling after 7-10 days. IMO - and unfortunately, experience - bad advice. Nonetheless, it could help to bring it up a degree or two - depending on where you're starting from. Anyway, it sounds like it has dropped a bit in 24 hours.

thesmithsera said:
wow looking good. Where did you get that bucket? online or local?? I have those pails that are a devil to see where your liquid level is

I got it with the full beer kit from local shop marked every 5 litre as well

ehope411 said:
Agree that the temp range is high and that manufacturer instructions, in general, can be questionable. I once made a 7% English Barleywine that recommended bottling after 7-10 days. IMO - and unfortunately, experience - bad advice. Nonetheless, it could help to bring it up a degree or two - depending on where you're starting from. Anyway, it sounds like it has dropped a bit in 24 hours.

Thought u were saying 22 to high then u say could bring it up

thesmithsera said:

Had a taste off the hydrometer and tasting ok

unionrdr said:

Take SG it's 1.040 same as yesterday

Latest posts

Back