Coopers lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sum1Stu

Reaction score
The instruction say to ferment on the low end of the reccomended temperatures (21 - 27c), It also mentions it can ferment as low as 13c.

Would it be beneficial if I could keep the temperatures as low as posssible but within range of 13c ? Could it possibly result in a poor product/off flavoring because of the yeast ? I dont have 100% control but I definitly could get temps in the 15-20 range.

I know a true lager needs cold temps, some even go below 13c when there almost done.

True lagers ferment with lager yeast with an average of around 10°C. Then lager at 0-1°C.

Your kit probably has an ale yeast. The colder you ferment it, the cleaner the beer will be... which is what is typically desired in a lager... or in your case a "lager".;)

Actually, it specifically says this kit is enclosed with a TRUE lager strain and may produce off smells like rotten eggs while fermenting.

So in this case what do you reccomend I do, keep it at 21c, or go for 13+ trying to to exceed 20+ ?

Go for the 13C+ method. Keep us updated how it turns out! Here's the description of the Cooper Lager yeast, taken from a website:
This is a true bottom fermenting lager yeast strain with a somewhat tart finish. For best results, rehydrate yeast in a cup of lukewarm water for 10 - 15 minutes, pitch into wort,and allow to stand at room temperature until fermentation commences. Then cool to 52 - 60 degrees and finish fermentation in this range. After fermentation has completed, syphon into secondary fermenter and allow to clarify before bottling or kegging.

Yea thx for responses, it actually says on their site to mantained the temps 15c for this specific one, however they also say to use a dextrose brew enhancer kit, with light dry malt. I used liquid malt extract, This is the very first time in coopers kits ive used malt extract instead of just sugars, this one is gonna be around 4% abv.....SG 1.030 usually bottles around 1.004-1.006.

If it's a true lager yeast, I would start it out at 10°C. If it doesn't start fermenting within 48 hours or so, bump it up 2-3°C and see if it gets going. Rehydrate the yeast before pitching... you probably only have 1 packet (you'll get a higher viable cell count by rehydrating).

Well its all done now, its pretty well started, not too strong though. Its not gonna be a real lager bcuz the temp is only 19c in my room with windows open, if only there was a way to shut off the heater in my room....

Is it normal for my sg to be this low ? 24L of water mixed with 1.7kg coopers xtract, 350g sugars, and 280 pale malt extract. It was at 1.030

Back