Coopers lager primary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gs1984

Reaction score
Newb question. I’ve had my Coopers Lager (1 can of LME, 1 packet of brew enhancer) in the fermenter for 11 days, the gravity has been stable for the past 4 days and the beer looks relatively clear. Bottling time? I ask because I’ve read posts on letting it stay in the fermenter for 3 weeks; is there tons of upside to this?

Thanks in advance!

Newb question. I’ve had my Coopers Lager (1 can of LME, 1 packet of brew enhancer) in the fermenter for 11 days, the gravity has been stable for the past 4 days and the beer looks relatively clear. Bottling time? I ask because I’ve read posts on letting it stay in the fermenter for 3 weeks; is there tons of upside to this?

If the gravity is stable and in the neighborhood of what you expected, and if there are no off flavors, it's fine to bottle. There's nothing magical about specifically 3 weeks (or any other pre-determined time frame).

What, if anything, did the recipe say about OG and FG, or about expected apparent attenuation?
The recipe simply says once you are past 6-7 days and gravity is stable for 2 days in a row, bottle it.

They recipe simply says once you are past 6-7 days and gravity is stable for 2 days in a row, bottle it.

So there's nothing in the recipe or on the packaging that lists expected OG or FG? That sounds weird to me, but I've never actually seen a Coopers kit. Does it state an ABV?

Right now, you're at only about 64% apparent attenuation, which might be a bit low, depending on what's in that "brew enhancer" (probably mostly sugar).

Are you sure about that OG of 1.036? Was this a top-off with water after the boil process? If so, were the water and wort mixed thoroughly before you took the hydrometer sample?

So there's nothing in the recipe or on the packaging that lists expected OG or FG? That sounds weird to me, but I've never actually seen a Coopers kit. Does it state an ABV?

Right now, you're at only about 64% apparent attenuation, which might be a bit low, depending on what's in that "brew enhancer" (probably mostly sugar).

Are you sure about that OG of 1.036? Was this a top-off with water after the boil process? If so, were the water and wort mixed thoroughly before you took the hydrometer sample?
I believe it was all thoroughly mixed and the OG was accurate, but as I am new to this world there is a possibility I made an error. This was brewed by boiling 2L of water, adding the brew enhancer(dextrose,maltodextrin) and lme, topping up to 23L, pitching the yeast at ~24C. From an apparent attenuation perspective, I’ve read others achieving ~65%. Thanks.

From an apparent attenuation perspective, I’ve read others achieving ~65%.

Well, if the kit typically results in ~65% apparent attenuation, and you've been at ~64% for the past 4 days, I'd say you're done.

Lagers need more time, don't be in a rush to bottle this. Keep it in primary for 3 weeks, then ramp up the temp to 65 degrees for a D-rest for a few days. Transfer to a clean carboy or keg, then lager it cold at 34 degrees for 90 days. At the end, you can bottle it. You might need to add a small amount of yeast to the bottling bucket.

Lagers need time. Most age out wonderfully in the 3-12 month time period. I have some 2019 Oktoberfest brewed in the spring of 2019 which is fantastic, they really do improve. Make more batches, and don't rush the process.

Lagers need more time, don't be in a rush to bottle this.

From what I've been able to gather, the Cooper's "lager" kits are lagers in name only. The yeast may or may not be a lager strain, but they recommend fermenting at 21C-27C and do not recommend lagering.

Back