Cooper's kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilem

Reaction score
ive made my first beer using Cooper's kit and it was great. They have simplified the process a great deal and me being a newbie i wonder if all those steps i read about are really necessary.
I just stirred the malt extract can they gave me into the primary fermenter with 2 litres (0.5 gallon) of boiling water added the rest of the water up to the 23lt (6gal) mark at room temp giving me a final temp of 24C (75F), added the yeast and sealed.
After a week i bottled straight from the primary fermenter. The end result was great.

So i skipped many steps that are in the literature and the end result was great.

ur input would be appreciated , thx. :)

Not really sure what steps you skipped. With a canned extract I boil about 2 quarts of water turn it down to a simmer add light or dark or whatever malt extract & canned extract.... simmer for awhile then add to 3 gal water in fermenter...top off...wait till it cools to 70 and pitch the yeast and cap the fermenter...What exactly did you skip? Did you not prime the beer before putting in bottles? If you didn't then you may have gotten lucky and it still fermented in the bottles enough to carb it but I doubt you'll always be that lucky.

i did prime the beer in the bottles. i guess i worded it wrong. the way u put i guess i brewed correctly with the extract from a can method. all im saying is that its much easier than boiling the full batch, then waiting for it to cool, transfer it to the fermenter and then transferring it to a secondary vessel etc etc.

p.s.- remember im a newbie :)

Yes some of the better kits have been pre boiled by the manufactures.
I made some kits up in less than 30 minutes before now and they have been better than commercials I've had.

It's great isn't it. :mug:

Yeah, I started out brewing those kits and had a great time and made some great beer. Soon I found out that I could be making fantastic beer and my hobby progressed to AG brewing.
That's one of the best parts of this hobby - you can take it as far as you want, all the while making beer!

hello I am trying to post at note to memebers, I have a web site called captianbrew.com and I am trying to make a new beer of the same name, I want to hire someone to make it, it is a little different, think new castle with ginseng erbs,
I need a company that does this that is willing to experimnent, we hope to ha ethe completed movie outby next year. hope for a responce, e-mail me through the site.
thanks Craig Darcel, if this did not get posted I am sorry!

Hey smilem,

Ya what you did was pretty much perfect... The kits are great and I purchase Coopers products on a regular basis. The only thing I would change that would greatly improve the quality of your beer is the following:

1. Instead of going from the Primary into the bottle try racking it off to a secondary and let it sit for at least 2 weeks. This will really clear up your beer and improve the taste by allowing it to condition itself in bulk.

2. Now when your ready to bottle rack it into a bucket and bulk prime your beer instead of adding it per bottle. This allows a more even carbonation for each bottle. Just remember to stir every 8-10 bottles.

I would consider both these steps pretty much standard in beer making. For about a year I did what you did and then started using a secondary racking and bulk priming and boy did I see a difference in the quality of beer I was making

Cheers hope this helped,
Marc

Back