Coopers kit+kilo??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arienjaynes21

Reaction score
Anyone use the coopers kits with just a kilo of table sugar? The new line of kits say to brew with the coopers enhancers ? I'm use to the original lager kit plus kilo of table sugar and I find it makes damn good beer for the cost and amount of work, I do primary in a bucket for a week and secondary for two with the coopers lager

I noticed that too, they recommend DME or something instead of sugar.
I'd be surprised if the beer came out much different, but who knows, they may have tweaked their extracts a little bit. Worst case it is not as good, and you know to try brew enhancer next time. There are other kit+kilo company's too, if that suits you better; Black Rock, Munton's, Twoeys, Morgan's etc.

Side note, just trying to help save some time: You could look into skipping secondary. I and many others don't bother.

Just trying to clear the beer, I am throwing it into a keg aswell but everyone tells me 7-10 days primary 2 weeks secondary

Right now I am trying a coopers Pilsner it called for 1kg of the coopers enhancer I brewed it with 2lbs of golden light dme and 500g table sugar, OG:1.048 checked today and it's at 1.010 after 2 days of d-rest started on Jan 20th

I've got quite a big fermenter it doesn't say how big it was my dads and he is unsure aswell, 23 litres is just under halfway full now is that too much head space for primary? I was thinking of just doing double batches in it, I'm sticking with the lager for now going to try this Pilsner and want to try there draught out while it's still cool enough for good lager temps, it doesn't get very cold on Vancouver island, I'm also wanting to experiment with a couple of quick and easy sparkling hard cider recipes if anyone has any, have 48 beer bottles half of which are twist off and I've never capped before but will be investing in the bench capper over the hand capper for the extra $10 it cost edit I also have a smaller 6 gallon brewing bucket I've been doing 5 gallon batches in

Here's a tip to save you some work and still get clear beer. Fill your secondary with a nice mead. That mead will need a year to be ready to drink so you can't use it to secondary your beer so leave your beer in the primary for the entire time of 3 to 4 weeks to let the yeast settle out and compact. Then use a bit of care when racking it to the keg and you still get clear beer because the yeast settles as fast in primary as secondary and it doesn't get stirred up again if you leave it. At the end of a year you will have beer...and mead!

Awesome thanks for the tip I'm wanting to make some cider for this summer actually, I do a lot of camping so I'm trying to stock up now, I have the 2 carboys was thinking of starting a cider in the one if it works out I'll probably do a batch with both carboys I believe ones a 5 gallon and one is a 6.5 gallon, I will be doing a cider out of store bought juice I already have a extra airlock thought of picking up another one and doings couple 1 gallon batches and comparing the juices

Awesome thanks for the tip I'm wanting to make some cider for this summer actually, I do a lot of camping so I'm trying to stock up now, I have the 2 carboys was thinking of starting a cider in the one if it works out I'll probably do a batch with both carboys I believe ones a 5 gallon and one is a 6.5 gallon, I will be doing a cider out of store bought juice I already have a extra airlock thought of picking up another one and doings couple 1 gallon batches and comparing the juices

Look at the labels on the cider carefully. Some may have chemical preservatives in them that will interfere with the yeast and prevent the cider from fermenting.

When you think your cider is ready give me a call and I'll come help you sample it.:D

Haha what's your number? I'm located in Port Alberni BC going to be starting on some this weekend, and hopefully getting some bottles, I'm new to brewing just got 2 carboys 2 corny kegs co2 all the hoses, but I'd like to be able to bottle brews to put away while I have a keg tapped drinking it, there's just no way to get ahead without bottling, going to get a bench capper and try to cap some Canadian twist offs I have read the Canadian glass is stronger ? Also for the extra 10$ it cost for the bench capper vs the hand capper I think the extra cost saves a lot of time and hassle

Haha what's your number? I'm located in Port Alberni BC going to be starting on some this weekend, and hopefully getting some bottles, I'm new to brewing just got 2 carboys 2 corny kegs co2 all the hoses, but I'd like to be able to bottle brews to put away while I have a keg tapped drinking it, there's just no way to get ahead without bottling, going to get a bench capper and try to cap some Canadian twist offs I have read the Canadian glass is stronger ? Also for the extra 10$ it cost for the bench capper vs the hand capper I think the extra cost saves a lot of time and hassle

Dang, Port Alberni is a bit far from here to just sample you cider, Just short of 3000 KM. However I will be on the west coast in July and the Port Alberni area is pretty.....:D

I accidentally got a couple of screw top bottles in my mix and they seal just fine with the wing capper I have. More problem happen with Corona bottles that I like to use to see how clear the bottled beer is becoming (one bottle per batch). The ring that the capper grips is too high and small for the capper.

Well I had found a 23 corona bottles from camping from summer a couple of micro brewery twist off bottles I bought a 6 pack of okanagan spring hoping they were pop tops only to get home and open the box and find out they were twist offs, but I also have a couple of cases of Budweiser bottles which are also twist off. Port Alberni is beautiful around that time of year ! I was thinking of using the corona bottles for cider ? And I'm also thinking of just sucking it up and buying grolsch can buy it in 4 packs for around 10$ plus taxes, but that would eliminate the need for a capper and caps would only need new seals when the time comes

Judging by your name RM MN do you have a rm dirt bike ? Lol

No, my screen name is my initials followed by the state I live in. Believe it or not, I have been to Port Alberni in August. We were vacationing in the Seattle area and wanted to see some of Vancouver Island so we too the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria with the plan to catch the ferry to Prince Rubert but we didn;t have reservations for that ferry and it was full so we ended up spending a week on Vancouver Island. Great place to be stuck. Got to see Tofino and Comox, drove from Port Renfrew to Lake Cowitchan.

It's a awesome place to live lots to do around here, I use to live down in Washington near Spokane, should check out the salmon derby or fall fair if your ever up this way, Tofino is one gorgeous place to spend a weekend aswell I'm going to be taking a trip out there to check out the brewery, going to start exploring the islands micro breweries

Back