Coopers irish stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BegginerBrewer

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new so if i say anything wrong please correct me but here we go. Does this sound like a good mix?;

1-Coopers irish stout extract (1.7KG)
1-Coopers light spray malt (500g)
1-Coopers dark spray malt (500g)
1-brewing sugar (300g)
1-Coopers standard yeast
1- water (up to 5 gal)

Anything iv'e missed or anything i dont need? Or is this mix ok? Please help!

'cmon guys, the quicker i get this cleared up the quicker i can get the stuff ordered up thus meaning i can brew it quicker!!

Seems low on fermentables for a 5 gallon batch. Try running the numbers through Hopville or Tastybrew, and see what you get.

Hi all, I'm new so if i say anything wrong please correct me but here we go. Does this sound like a good mix?;

1-Coopers irish stout extract (1.7KG)
1-Coopers light spray malt (500g)
1-Coopers dark spray malt (500g)
1-brewing sugar (300g)
1-Coopers standard yeast
1- water (up to 5 gal)

Anything iv'e missed or anything i dont need? Or is this mix ok? Please help!

If this all came as a kit then just brew it.

You can buy the kit package that includes the recommended fermentables and carbonation drops.

That, or simply buy LME and Dextrose.

The recommendations by Coopers are to add 500g of LME and 300g of Dextrose to their Irish Stout kit.

The package will include more of each of the fermentables than you will need as well as carbonation drops for bottling. Buying the fermentables separately will also most likely net you more than you need. That's fine though. Use some in upcoming batches.

The can of stout should include the yeast with or without the package deal.

Lastly, I don't think Coopers makes a spray malt. I've never seen their brand anyway.

Hope this helps.

ronclark said:
You can buy the kit package that includes the recommended fermentables and carbonation drops.

That, or simply buy LME and Dextrose.

The recommendations by Coopers are to add 500g of LME and 300g of Dextrose to their Irish Stout kit.

The package will include more of each of the fermentables than you will need as well as carbonation drops for bottling. Buying the fermentables separately will also most likely net you more than you need. That's fine though. Use some in upcoming batches.

The can of stout should include the yeast with or without the package deal.

Lastly, I don't think Coopers makes a spray malt. I've never seen their brand anyway.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Ron. Where abouts in the UK could I buy this kit from please. So I only need about 800g of additional sugars instead if 1.3 kgs?

Thanks Ron. Where abouts in the UK could I buy this kit from please. So I only need about 800g of additional sugars instead if 1.3 kgs?
I have no idea on where to get it in the United Kingdom. Sorry. I would suggest checking brew supply places over there or the internet. There might even be some European vendors listed on this site. I live in the U.S. and order all my stuff from here.

As for the amounts, I checked it on two websites for you and they both have the same thing. One was Coopers brewery site and the other was the U.S. distributor for their DIY products.

Sorry I can't be of more help on this.

Bottom line - it'll make a good beer. But you could up the DME a pound or so to get you up to the 1.056 or so range which is more appropriate for a stout. I'm assuming you're talking 5 imperial gallons, so 6 US gallons.

If you are happy at the 4.3% ABV, then don't worry and have at it.

Cheers!

Yeah,the cooper's cans are intended for 6 gallon batches. From the markings on my bottling bucket,5 US gallons = 19L,or 1/4 gallon less than 4.5 Imperial gallons. 4.5 imp gallons = 20L.
The 6 gallons that cooper's lists for their cans is 23L,or 6.072 US gallons.
So if you brew it to 5 US gallons instead of 6G,then your gravity would be a bit higher. It would be a bit better with the ingredient amounts you're planning.

Right so here's exactly what im going to do please help me if i do anything wrong;

Boil 1 metric gallon of water, add 500g of LME, 500g of DME and add 1kg of sugar? Then add the can of HME to the boiling water. Stir off of the heat for about 3~4 mins then bring to the boil. Add the wort to my fermenter and fill up to around 4~4.5 Metric gallons of cold tap water. Pitch the standard coopers yeast when the temps around 20~24 degrees celcius. Check SG and wait until it gets to around 1004~1008. Rack to a barrel and add ?? (how much please) of brewing sugar.Leave for 2~3 weeks and check carbonation, repeat until fully carbonated and matured. (up to 1 month) chill in the fridge and enjoy.;)!!

Anything wrong with this is it ok and how much sugar do i need in a 4~4.5 gallon batch?

Back