Coopers extract with WLP001 not very active

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rednhez

Reaction score
my LHBS recommended trying the coopers real ale kit, he said he had a lot of customers really like it. I decided to give it a shot, but made a few changes.
1 can of coopers real ale
1 oz cascade aroma full hops
1 oz brewers best lemon peal
white labs wlp001 California ale yeast

while 4 gallons of water were heating up I added the coopers extract, at 15 mins I added 1 oz of lemon peal, then at 55 mins I added the 1 oz of cascade, cooled it down with some ice to top it off to 5 gallons and then put the kettle in an ice bath. pitched the yeast, and it was fermenting the next morning.

so here is the "problem" after 6 days in the primary, I racked it into a secondary, I thought I did a good job because there was virtually no splashing, but its been 2 days now and there is almost no foam or airlock action. If i look closely with a flashlight I can see 2 patches, smaller than a dime of bubbles, but that's it! Did I go secondary too early?

I don't see anything about gravity readings, and yes six days is too soon really to rack the beer. You shouldn't do it by time period anyway but by gravity reading. I usually recommend not to rack til day 14, to give the yeast time to clean up the byproducts of fermentation that can lead to off flavors, before you let the beer clear in a secondary. You took it off the biggest amount of yeast that could have finished the beer.

SInce yeast often takes up to 72 hours to start, especially if you didn't make a starter, moving after 6 days, may mean you only got 3 days of true fermentation.

You really need to take a gravity reading to know what's going on. Then I would just leave it alone for a couple weeks to let what yeast is there finish the job.

After six days it should be done with any active fermentation so don't be looking for much activity.

There's really no need to boil a canned kit. Just add it at the end.

Yeah.... about those gravity readings... I need to start doing that. That would prove useful.

so any recomnedations from here? just let it sit for a week or 2, maybe add more yeast?

Just realized that was my first post! first time poster long time reader, love these forums, I check them almost every day.

Back