Coopers Extract kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty-Dawg

Reaction score
I am a newbie to this and I am going to user Coopers Canadian Blonde on my first brew. I would like to hear your input on the Coopers LME's for Extract brewing.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Coopers kits will produce a great beer, but there are some nuances to make it a great beer.
What is the basic recipe you plan on using?
Yeast and yeast packet weight amount?
Volume in the fermentor?
Brew enhancer? Which one?

Do you have a plan for fermentor temperature control?

Sounds like a lot, but entire books have been written for beginning brewing.

I know the extract is the Canadian Blonde for my first brew and the local brew shop gave me some additional LME to add to it. As for the Yeast I am not sure of the exact one but the local brew shop did give me a specific yeast for that particular LME but I will look when I get home from work and post it. I am completely open to pointers and advice.

Temp Control: I have a room in my house that I can maintain a constant 60-70 degrees in. So I feel good about that part.
Volume in the fermentor: I plan to do a 5gal. brew.
Local Brew Shop also gave me a pre-measured Priming sugar packet for bottling.

I just brewed this... really couldn't be easier.

I actually hop bursted it to kick it up a notch and make more of an APA (i guess?) out of it. Reason was, my Dad had this and the Irish stout kit left over from when he brewed.

So, I did the Irish stout on 11/23 and the Canadian Blonde on 11/28. Didn't use brew enhancer, just added the correct qtys of DME and dextrose/sugars with a few changes here and there (used SA-04, did 5 gal instead of 23L etc., added more DME etc.)

So easy, the hardest part is waiting. And the sanitizing... and the waiting. And not looking at it every time you get home.

Did I mention the waiting?

Cool,

Thanks for the insight. I am going to take a look at the exact ingredients and amounts when I get home this evening.

I still need to get a stainless cook kettle. I'll be picking that up this weekend and get started. That being said I will probably be asking some questions between now and brew day.

All advice is appreciated.

Welcome to the forum of helpful advice.

Really can't agree with this more... I've already been coached by some very helpful people and I didn't get the standard "Did you use the search function?"

But the reality is, you could spend all day reading here but it's not going to do anything to quell your first-time (or second or third) brewing jitters.

I keep telling myself to relax (my anxiety is still winning that battle), but as with everything, it's a learning process and you've got to crawl before you can walk.

If you have some free time... read some of the posts in this thread, put me at ease a bit more. Good luck!

Just for info's sake, 19L is 5.016 USG, whereas 23L is 6.072 USG. Give us the rest of the ingredient weights,etc when you get home.:mug:

Sorry guys.....

I did not get the info last night. My wife and I ended up going to a new place near our house that has tons of craft beers and good food.

Therefore I will have to do it tonight when I get home.

I did get to try 8 different beers. They have this thing they call the flight which consists of 4 different beers of your choosing in 5oz. glasses for $6.00

Had a good time ! :mug:

Ok guys,

My first brew plan / recipe is as follows

1 can (3.75 lbs) Coopers Canadian Blonde LME
Additional LME from local brew shop (2.0 lbs)
1 packet yeast (Safale US-05). 11.5g
5oz. Corn Sugar (priming) for 5 gal batch

Second brew / recipe

1 can (3.75 lbs) Coopers Wheat Beer LME
Additional LME from local brew shop (2.0 lbs)
1 packet (1.0oz.) Coriander (common in Belgian wits)
1 packet (1.0oz.) Bitter Orange Peel
1 packet yeast (Safale WB-06) 11.5g
5oz. Corn Sugar (priming) for 5gal batch

Feel free to weigh in and give your thoughts.

Back