Cooper's dry yeast temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Howdy

I was just looking through Austin Home Brew's website and saw what they said about Cooper's yeast...

A traditional Australian dry yeast used in Cooper's canned beer kits, now available as an individual item. It has a clean, round flavor profile.

Flocculation: High
Attenuation: High
Ideal Fermentation Temperature: 68-80 F
15 gram package.

says the ideal fermentaion temperature is up to 80! Is this true? would there be significantly more esters and all brewing in temps say 78-80 with this yeast?

Thanks guys

I'm using coopers right now.. not really sure why, my LHBS guy recommended I throw 7 grams in with a full pack of nottinghams. My beers bubbling like crazy. It got up to 76 today, I cooled it down though. I'll report here on estery flavors when its done.

I've used this yeast a number of times and I don't find much of a flavor, be it good or bad, at any temperature. It's more a generic kit yeast. I try to only use liquid yeast consistent with the beer style I'm brewing now. Ferments like crazy, though. Usually done in 24-48 hours.

I've heard good things about fermentis and do plan on using it eventually..

I've used nottingham twice...one got oxidated to hell when i was trying to rack....so i bought an auto-syphon..

but the one that worked turned out really good(i'm drinking it right now..)

I used a white labs cider yeast once and tonight i'm going to use a wyeast hefe yeast...

I'm just wondering about the coopers bc it's starting to get hot...

I'm going to buy an ice cube pretty soon for fermenting in but just wondering how well this yeast worked at those temps..

thanks guys!

oh yeah and seefresh let me know how it goes!

From my experience I can tell that cooper's yeast is not affected to much by temperature as is it not producing allot of bi-products such as esters or others. Some yeast can tolerate high temps, they produce high levels of bi-products but contribute to a beer style. Belgian and Bavarian yeast are some of these.

Back