Coopers dark ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SippinSudz

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've used a full can of coopers dark ale in a 2.5 gallon fermentor. It's fermented for 12 days so far. I've sampled it, some people do, some people don't, oh well.

This is my second time brewing. The flavor is excellent, can't taste a high alcohol content tho... (The extract called for 1kg of sugar added for a 5 gallon batch, but i found online if brewing a full can of extract in half the fermentor amount, sugar isn't needed??)

Also... There is quite a deep bitterness aftertaste. I love dark beer, I love bitter, but this flavor is quite "out there" lol.

Hope it can settle down?

If you didn't take readings (just assuming) with a hydrometer, then was there at least a krausen?
Bitterness relaxes long before homebrewers do.
I always say "it will be fine" and I'm right 96% of the time.

I'm gonna leave it another 2-4 days depending how ancy I get. There is a fair bit of it on the bottom yum. Top is clear and smells less strong of carbon dioxide as a few days ago.

Dark beer flavors take more time to taste good and I would think your beer will be Strong and that also takes more time. I would at least wait 3 weeks from the brew day and 4 weeks would be a better Idea if you don't have a Hydrometer. The stronger the beer the more time it needs to carbonate also it might easily take 4 weeks or more depending on how much alcohol it has. ;) Patience is needed!

If you have a hydrometer, test it @ 14 days to see if it's done or how close it is. When you get the same reading 3 days apart, it's done. Then give it 3-7 days to clean up any by-products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling.

Wow. Little longer of a process than I was planning, but good beer is worth the wait!

Hi SippinSudz

I'm not surprised that your brew is a bit on the bitter side.

A Coopers Dark can in a half batch will be something close to this

OG: 1.055
ALC%: 5.7
IBU: 77.6

It will mellow out over time in the bottle.

Yeah, making a stronger stout does take longer to meld & mellow into it's best form. I've been doing it in the bottles & it can take a few weeks to do so.

I appreciate the replies. I will be letting these rest for about 3-4 weeks in the bottle.

I appreciate the replies. I will be letting these rest for about 3-4 weeks in the bottle.

I appreciate that you will be anxious to sample your beer but that dark strong beer will be much better in 3 to 4 months than it will at 3 to 4 weeks. Don't drink all of it too soon. My darkest stout seemed to peak in flavor at a year and by year 2 it was really smooth and all gone.

Back