Coopers Dark Ale / Stout toucan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkESmith

Reaction score
For my third brew (1st since 2011 - too busy at work) I'm doing a recipe suggested here:
https://coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/11472/?page=1

1 x 1.7kg can of Coopers Dark Ale extract
1 x 1.7kg can of Coopers Stout extract
1 x 1kg of Coopers Brewing Sugar (80% dextrose / 20% maltodextrin)
Both kit yeasts

Aiming for a 23L batch but leaving it at 20L for the first few days as apparently it gets pretty fiery and can blow krausen everywhere. Then I will add the last 3L of water.

Threw in the yeast @ ~28deg.C into 20L.
O.G. @ 20L = 1.064 so I figure (20*1.064 + 3*1.000)/23 = 1.056 equivalent O.G. for the 23L batch.

24 hours later:
This brew is getting pretty gnarly and is a lot more feisty than the other two I've done. It's been sitting in an 18deg.C cupboard but has about 24deg.C in the carboy. I just took it out of the cupboard and into my cold bathroom as its bubbling like crazy, shooting vodka everywhere and smells a bit fruity. Will put it back in when the carboy temperature drops. The plan is to leave it at 18deg.C for 4-6 weeks then bottle. Also I went outside and chopped off a bit of garden hose to make a blowoff tube as I'm worried it is going to blow krausen through the airlock.

Hoping for a strong dark stout to enjoy down here in NZ's winter. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has tried a similar brew or anyone with any advice or suggestions.

NRQDqAr.jpg
qnBZAwX.jpg

I did this exact brew Christmas before last and drank the last couple of bottles this Christmas past. I'd almost suggest leaving it 6 months before touching the first bottle but I didn't have that much will power myself.

I enjoyed it after the bitterness mellowed out and at ~8% ABV (if I remember correctly) it was a decent winter warmer.

I always thought the dark ale would mellow the stout a bit. but try to get the temps down to 18-20C to help slow down production of fermentation by-products & allow it to clean up what it's made already. The fruity smell is coming from the Cooper's yeast esters. I got that a lot when I was using their ale yeast.

20 days later this is sitting in the primary at an S.G. of 1.014. Batch size is still at 20L so I make this 6.6%v/v @ 20L or 5.8%v/v if I go to 23L as planned.

It has been sitting in a dark cupboard at 20-22deg.C for the whole time.

I tasted the stuff I took the S.G. readings from and the fruity flavours aren't really present. The mouthfeel is quite watery presumably from using sugar. Next time I would use more extract instead but it's still early days.

I am going to add some cold-brewed coffee before bottling as otherwise I'm worried this could turn out to be a pretty nondescript brew. Bottling will be in about a week or so.

Any update on this? Ive got a Draught and Dark Ale can I am looking for ways to use!

Check out my recipes link under my avatar. Look for moonwind ale for the dark ale can. The draught I used in my pale ales & IPA's. Check those out for ideas on the draught can. Simple good tasting recipes.

I made the batch up to 21.5L and bottled on the 29th July. Currently drinking the 2nd bottle now (20th October). I added 4 x heaped teaspoons of Nescafe instant espresso at bottling.

OG 1059.5, FG 1011, ABV 6.4% v/v

Not much head but excellent dark colour and thick mouthfeel. Taste is perfectly fine without being exciting. This is a competent example of a stout and is loads better than mass-produced stouts e.g. Monteith's Black, Guinness, etc. but not up there with a good microbrew. Unfortunately the coffee is not discernible at all, I would add two or three times the amount I did with this batch if you want coffee notes.

I'll happily drink them but wouldn't make again as I'm done with pre-hopped kits. Time for all grain.

Once was enough for me too. I liked it just fine but the cost to make was high for what you got. Currently it would cost me over $60CDN to buy the ingredients at my LHBS.

The cost of pre-hopped kits and un-hopped extract (LME but especially DME) is what drove me away from extract brewing. I started out partial mashing using Cooper's kits as a base before moving on to all grain. This worked out pretty well as an intermediate step that produced good beer. In fact my next batch (Double Chocolate Stout) will be made this way since I was able to get a can of Cooper's OS stout at a signicantly lower price than usual.

With my current equipment and method I get about 14-15 litre batch sizes doing all grain brewing. Doing a partial mash will allow me to do a full 23 litre batch so I can beef up my pipeline a little. I'm currently getting ready to bottle a wine kit that has tied up my fermentation chamber for around 40 days. My stock of beer has taken a hit in the meanwhile.

Using Cooper's cans in PM recipes worked out quite well in my experiences. The mash adds so much more than mere freshness. But even in AE recipes, what you add & when makes all the difference.

Have made a few batches of this and another that uses Stout and a Bitter. They have all been quite drinkable. My issue is that I use the standard amount of sugar (Coopers Brew Enhancer 2) when bottling but beer is a little flat when the lid is lifted and will only form a good head if poured from an elevation 12 inches or more above the glass. Is this common, does anybody have any suggestions.

Back